Chapter 6

I had gotten sick of my music around midnight. My paint supply had dwindled for I had been putting more color in this painting than I have in any other. At that point I had about three tenths of the wall was finished and still a ton of work ahead of me.

My stomach grumbled loudly and a bacon cheeseburger was calling my name and I also needed to buy more paint. I took out a two small index cards from my desk. I wrote on one a list of all the colors of paint I needed and on the second, a note to Jamal saying:

Went to get a burger and paint, be back in a couple hours     -Skylar

Just so he wont get upset at me again. The kiss he gave me popped into my head. And so did the one from Alice. I had no idea how he would treat me now. Maybe he would treat me different, maybe the same. Would he try to forget our kiss? I know so little about Jamal that I had absolutely no clue as to what would happen between us now. So I decided do something fairly easy: avoid him.

I stopped right in front of my door, my hand on the door knob, and listened. There was faint sound of movement, pacing. Jamal was still in his room though. I figured I should just try fast walking down the hall.

With that plan in my head, I opened my door, silently shutting it behind me. I started fast walking but then, eh, what the hell, my legs decided to sprint. I slapped the index card onto the kitchen counter, grabbed my coat hanging by the door and left the apartment. I took the stairs all the way down and within a minute I was out on the sidewalk. It was freezing cold outside so I zipped up my coat and started walking.

My stomach grumbled again and desperately searched for a Wendy's. I walked a couple blocks down and spotted one just ahead. I started jogging and I could practically taste the bacon cheeseburger.

"Skylar!" I froze. I considered running away but I would just see him later at the apartment and also he is a faster runner so he would catch me in a second. I turned to see him in his black leather coat striding towards me, hands in his coat pockets.

"Hey, I was just going to get-"

"A bacon cheeseburger and paint. Yeah, I know. Mind if I join you?" He asked. He had confidence when he spoke and so I started to think that things were just going to go back to normal.

"Sure," I said back with equal confidence. When we got inside Wendy's I forced the ink on my arms to disappear and I realized it was getting easier and easier to do. We ordered our food and sat down in a booth. I quickly unwrapped the burger and within maybe five minutes or less, it was gone. Jamal had done the same and we then started eating our fries.

"So, who was the girl?" Jamal asked. I stopped eating setting my half eaten french fry down, wiping my hands and mouth, and swallowing the rest of my food. I had thought he had decided to forget but I guess not.

"Alice." Jamal's eyes widened.

"Seriously? I didn't know she was a lesbian."

"Don't say anything to anybody," I told him.

" Don't worry, I won't. I wouldn't out both of you."

"Both of us? Jamal, I'm not like her. It just happened, okay?"

"Wait, so, you're not a lesbian?"

"No, of course not."

"Oh. Wait, then why did you push me away?"

"Because... because I was... confused. I had just been kissed by a girl who I had forgotten was a lesbian and then I walk into my apartment only to get chewed out by you and then you kiss me out of nowhere. A little overwhelming, don't you think?" I didn't realize how loud I had gotten and when I looked around, some of the other customers were staring at me. Oh, and I had my hands in the air. I quickly dropped my hands and sunk down in my seat but seriously, those people were burning holes into me. Oh, how much I hated it when people stared.