Chapter 9

Blackwell tower is the sixth tallest building in the world with a height of 1,658 feet and 101 stories. I cranked my head back, searching for the very top of the building which was masked by a thin layer of clouds.

A man accidently bumped into me, knocking me out of my trance. He muttered a sorry that was not at all sincere and headed through the double glass doors. I straightened my back and walked in, my hands beginning to shake slightly from nervousness. I had seen the inside of the building already since I had to come in for an interview for the assistant job so I was not as awed by the huge, marble floored, lobby. I headed to the elevator where I was forced into the corner due to a huge crowd that walked in with me. I was to go up to 98th floor and I was happy to see everyone filtering out by the 30th and 40th floors.

I was then left alone with another girl who had been squished into the opposite corner. We looked at each other and exchanged a silent hello. Her hair was done up into a ponytail, small studded earrings, black glasses, white shirt, pencil skirt and flats. After we had risen above the 90th floor she turned to me.

"You're the new assistant for Mr. Blackwell, aren't you?" she asked.

"Yes, I am." She only nodded. "Do we get to see Mr. Blackwell often?" I asked her. She scoffed.

"Oh my, dear. Mr. Blackwell is a very busy man. He has more important things to do than socialize with his assistants. He only talks to his executive assistant, Andrew Thicks. Blackwell tells Thicks what needs to be done, Thicks dishes it out between all of us. It's rare that we see Mr.Blackwell."

Fuck, I thought. Mr. Chase did warn me that this job would take a while to complete, I just had hoped that he would be wrong. The elevator dinged on the 98th floor.

"What's your name?" I asked as we stepped out.

"Lace Philips. You?"

"Skylar Nightly."

"Ah. Well, have a good first day Skylar." And she walked to her desk. I had already been shown where my desk would be so I found it and set my stuff down. It was only a small cubicle space. I wasn't expecting anything fancy since I was only an assistant, a brand new one at that so I was the low man on the totem pole.

"You're Skylar," a voice said from behind me. I turned to face tall, slender, emerald green eyed beauty. Her gaze caused feelings of self-consciousness and intimidation to seep into me.

"Hello," I said, my voice coming out very weak but still audible.

"I'm Ruth and I have to train you. Follow me." She turned and headed down the hall. She showed me multiple rooms like storage, printing, break room, etc. Ruth walked and talked quickly so it was hard for me to keep up but somehow I managed.

"You can ask me questions if you need help with anything."

"Okay, thank you," I said. Ruth started to walk back to her desk but stopped and turned to face me again.

"Alissa Grant, the girl you're replacing, was a huge part of the group. She meant a lot to us. You have some big shoes to fill Skylar, are you sure you can handle this job?" Ruth made sure to give me direct eye contact and I couldn't help but look down to the floor.

"Yes, I'm sure."

"Look at me in the eyes when you say that." I raised my head and forced myself to look into her piercing green eyes.

"Yes, I can handle this," My voice came out louder and more confident which I was very happy for.

"We shall see," she said and walked towards her desk. I felt on overwhelming sense of relief to not be under Ruth's intense gaze and that's when I felt the slight stinging on my wrist. I looked down to see my wrist a deep red and was burning up. I made my way to the bathroom quickly and ran it under cold water.