Chapter 11

"How's work been going, Sky?" Lilith asked. We were walking down the sidewalk, Lilith with a latte in one hand, phone in the other while I walked with my hands stuffed in the pockets of my coat. I felt a bit nervous saying anything that pertained to the Blackwell Tower or Nathan Blackwell in general because of my royal screw-up two months ago. Today was the first time Lilith and I were able to hang out since I started the job.

"It's going fine," I said.

"Have you touched him yet?" Lilith asked with a perverted tone.

"Nope. Haven't been able to. I haven't seen him."

"At all?"

"I saw him once. But, I wasn't able to get close."

"Ah, okay. I'll let Mr. Chase know about it. But, I understand. Blackwell is a busy man," she said. We walked in silence for a few seconds before she abruptly asked, "Has Jamal spoken to you at all?"

"Not since I moved to the new apartment. He hasn't called or anything. Why?"

"Just wondering."

"Does he... talk about me?"

"That's kind of why I asked. He hasn't said a word about you. I thought you guys had a thing." I scrunched my eyebrows together in confusion. Jamal knows where I'm staying, he has my phone number. And, we pretty much started dating and he made it seem that he was crazy for me. I didn't understand. What happened?

"Whatever. I don't want to think about it. I have to focus on Blackwell."

"I guess, just don't focus too much. You still have a life outside your job."

"I'll keep my outside life with you, Jamal, Perry, and Chris in check. Don't worry. Hopefully this job will be over soon." Lilith nodded as we entered Alice's grandparents' bakery. We bought what we wanted and took a seat. Alice unfortunately wasn't working that day.

Lilith took a huge bite out of the vanilla cupcake she bought when her phone vibrated. When she looked t the text, her eyes grew wide and tried saying "Oh my god" with a mouth filled with cupcake. She chewed and swallowed as fast as possible.

"Skylar, I know the perfect way for you to get close to Blackwell."

"Okay, what?"

"Dane Harvey. He's Nathan Blackwell's best friend. Dane has a company of his own and him and Blackwell are merging their companies."

"Okay, so?"

"Dane needs an assistant."

"Yeah but I'm already Blackwell's assistant."

"Apparently Blackwell is offering one of his own to Dane. Dane gets to choose which one he wants. So, you have got to make yourself presentable and stand out. If he makes you his assistant, well, isn't it obvious? Him and Blackwell will be working together all the time and you will be there for most of the way. You can get close. All you need is one touch. That's it, Skylar."

I took a sip from my strawberry smoothie topped with whipped cream and pondered the new turn of events.

"Where are you getting this information anyway?" I asked her.

"An incredible source. Don't question it." I just simply nodded and sipped my tea. I had no idea how I would be able to impress Dane Harvey but it gives me an extra opportunity to get close to Blackwell. I would sure as hell try my hardest.

***********************

I sat next to Lace Phillips, the one I first met in the elevator, in the break room. We had gotten closer over the last two  months. Actually I had gotten much closer to all of the other assistants, Janelle and Ruth and the other assistant Amy, the one other assistant that I hadn’t been able to meet on my first day. We were all seated around our little round table. I was becoming more involved in their little “pack.” Ruth, though, took a while to really get close to. Her emerald eyed gaze continued to intimidate me but I had at least gotten to the point where I could make a good amount of eye contact and I could talk to her with a decent amount of confidence.