Chapter 8

"Look at you, little sis," Chris said, my hand in his as he made me spin around in my navy blue graduation robe.

"Our little girl is all grown up," Lilith said sarcastically, pretending to cry. I laughed at her and she gave me a tight hug. "Congratulations, Skylar."

"Thanks Lil."

"So, where do you want to go to eat?" Perry asked.

"Great Wraps," I said immediately and Perry gave a Cheshire Cat smile.

"You are so awesome, I've told you that before right?" he said and laughed. I looked over at Jamal who stood next to Perry with a big smile that didn't quite reach his eyes. He hadn't been speaking much the whole day and i wasnt sure if it was just him being cranky for waking up early or if there was actually something very wrong. I was almost afraid to ask him about it and so I decided not to say anything.

The boys decided to wait for Lilith and I in Perry's car as I changed into black jeans and my Beatles t-shirt. Lilith reapplied her bizarre blue lipstick before we headed out to the parking lot.

"Skylar!" Someone shouted from behind. I turned to see Alice and her mother walking towards me.

"Hey Alice, Janet," I said. I had been hanging with Alice a lot after what had been said at the apartment four months ago and I had become quite close with her as well as her mother.

"Are you going anywhere to eat?" Alice asked.

"Yeah, I'm going with my friends to Great Wraps. You want to join us?"

"Yes, please," Alice said.

"Are you coming as well Janet?"

"Oh, no, no, no. You guys have fun. I'm going back home to get some work done," she said and then turned to Alice. "I want you back home by one in the morning at the latest, yes?"

"Yes, momma," Alice responded and hugged her mother as tight as she could and her mother mimicking the motion.

I thought about what that must feel like to have a bond of love as strong as Alice and her mother had. I began to have an aching feeling inside, one that threatened a waterfall from my eyes but I had felt and conquered the feeling before. Today would be no different.

Alice released her mother and followed me to the car were we crammed ourselves inside. We had to sit in awkward positions in order to fit but it turned into a good time, full of laughing, light punching, some screaming, tickling, and a few dirty jokes.

At midnight we stopped near a graveyard and played tag like little children. Chris tripped on a gravestone and we immediately felt an eerie feeling. It could have been just us freaking ourselves out but we decided to leave. After asking Alice's mom, Alice, me, and the rest of the group slept over at the apartment.

We were going absolutely insane by 1AM drinking Monster energy drinks and by 3 we had already started to crash. Lilith, Alice, Chris and I wound up in my room while Perry and Jamal stayed in the living room.

I forced myself up off the carpeted floor in my room so I could go turn off all the lights that were left on. The kitchen light was the last one I went to turn off. I stared out of the little window over the kitchen sink at the little lights from buildings that towered over our little apartment complex.

I closed my eyes, breathing in the small scents of cookies we made earlier, smelly socks worn by the boys, and cinnamon in the candles we lit. It was an odd mix of smells, but I loved it. This was the last time I would feel this safe and comfortable.

Tomorrow I would be moving out and into a new apartment as well as a new job as an assistant for Nathan Blackwell. I didn't know how long this job would be but I knew I couldn't fuck it up. I was the only one who could do it. Just one touch was all I needed. Just one.

I shivered and tensed up as I felt two arms snaking around me.

"It's just me silly," Alice said with a giggle. I smiled and relaxed my body.

"I thought you fell asleep already," I said.

"Not really. I was partially awake and I heard you leave."

"Ah. Are you happy to be done with high school?"

"I feel the same. Nothing has changed except for the fact that I have a job interview on Monday. Wish me luck?"

"You don't need it Alice. Anyone would be happy to have you," I told her. Her arms tightened around me.

"Thanks." I don't know how long we stood there jut staring out the tiny kitchen window but we did eventually get tired of standing and made or way back to my bedroom. Chris and Lilith had made themselves comfortable on my bed, which I took a picture if to torture them with later, so Alice and I slept on the floor.

"After this, please don't hesitate to talk to me. We will go our separate ways but I don't want to lose you. As a friend, I mean," Alice whispered.

"You don't have to worry Alice. I'll be there when you need me." I spoke the complete and utter truth.

Losing Alice was a scary thing to think about. The last thing I wanted to do was lose her. As a friend. I'm pretty sure.