happy birthday maxie!!!

it's your birthday! which, congrats, i hope you're eating cake. i can't give you a gift, i can't agonize over what you want/need, but i can write you something. maybe it's less of a birthday gift and more of a thing for me to reconcile my feelings, but it's still for and about you.

i changed the dedication on perfect harmony when you deleted. i don't know if you noticed. i don't know if you ever actually liked it. i do know that i wrote an entire story about you because you deserve everything. a story with a girl named max falling in love with louis tomlinson is not much compared to what i want to give you.

i cannot tell the stars what to do, but i suggest to them: fall across the sky when she's looking, and give her whatever she wishes for.

i've archived every email message wattpad sent to me about you. now, i feel like it's nothing more than a box with notes in them. nothing in that box pertains to me. nothing in that box is going to tell me where you went, but i don't want to know.

i don't want to know where you are. but this is what i hope: that you are safe, that you are happy, that you are loved, that you are alive.

(you were my best friend, and i wish i got a goodbye.)

i never took you seriously when you said that you'd leave after nicotine was over. i got a three month grace period, and i thank you for that. i hope that you're out there, laughing. i hope you're smiling, that you get wrinkles by the corner of your eyes, that laugh lines will emerge. i hope moving on made you happy. much love. x.