Chapter 8: BIRTHDAY WISH

Cassie opened her eyes when the rays of sunlight entered her room. The curtains of the windows have not been properly spread to block the light outside. Her hand was still holding the letters which included to John’s birthday gift to her. She found it rolled and tied at the doll’s hands. John’s gift to her is a porcelain musical doll and it is not a new one but still looks as good as new. It has a hazel nut brown curly hair with eyes big and rounded. The doll is wearing maroon dress designed like that of a classic European dress. She’s disappointed at first but after reading the letter she realized how lucky she was to have that. She neatly folds the letter and placed it at the side table and holds the doll afterwards. After turning the knob the doll sways its head with the music in the tune of A Song for Anna and when the music stops she put it at the sofa together with her other doll Peter and talk to them.

“Hi Peter, this is Anna. She will be your companion from now.” Cassie smiled and looked at Anna. “Hi Anna this is Peter, are you happy to meet him?” she holds the doll and guided its head to mimic a nod, after that she came back to her bed and reads the letter again for the fifth time. But she’s still excited to read it and as she unfolded the letter, a smile voluntarily marked to her face.

To my dearest Cassandra,
I’m sorry I think I broke my promise to you. Sorry if I let you wait, I know you are expecting me to visit again the other night but I didn’t show up. I’d been in a little trouble lately except from being busy with my studies I have a problem with my parents too. They want to send me abroad and continue my studies there. But I don’t want to, how I can know you better if I’m not here just near to you, and except from that we’re just been here for a couple of years and I’m starting to get used to this place. When I told you that I wanted you to be my friend, I really mean it, and I’m serious, I swear. I’d heard from our maids that you are not studying in a school. But I’m still hoping that you will next school year. I’ll do my best to encourage your parents. Are you happy with that?
          Anyway, I know you're disappointed of what I’d give to you. It’s not new but it is precious to me. Actually my sister owned her. I also had that one (a boy version of it). She named it after her name Anna. They had a little resemblance, they both have a brown curly hair and the song it produces was the first piece my sister had played in piano. I love my sister very much, she’s two years older than me and she was my first best friend ever. When we are still in the States, we always went at the backyard to plant flowers that she loved, maybe that’s the reason why I’m in love with plants and flowers too. Everyone can envy me for having her as my sister because she’s loveable, sweet and very understanding. But they should not... although she’s fun to be with she suffers inside. She was 12 when diagnosed of having leukemia. I am only 10 at that time and can’t help at anything but to stay at her side. She’s brave and though chemotherapy made her hair loss… she’s still beautiful and always smiling. My sister died when she was fifteen, I don’t know if it is good but I want to tell you that it was her 7th death anniversary on your birthday. My family always held a prayer ceremony every year for my sister that’s why I can’t promise if I can come to your party. I hope that you understand.
That doll is the only thing my sister left to me and I hope that you too will take care of it. It is all yours from now on. Please treasure it more than I do.
With hugs and kisses,
John
P.S.
I know you are a shy person but please be present at your party venue for me to catch you when I came. I can’t promise but I’ll try… Happy, happy birthday my sweet Cassie.

She neatly folds the letter again and tucked it in her diary. Maybe the maids including her mom and Ma Marie are busy for the party. No one bothers to wake her, and thanks to the sunshine she’s awake now. But since it was late when she sleeps, her eyes were still puffy and still voluntary closed each time she tried to open it. She stretches her arms and went to the balcony. She saw her mom and her nurse at the garden helping to arrange the flowers at the tables. They were too busy because they don’t have enough time due to the rain.
She inhaled and callout. “Mommy!!!! Ma Marie!!!!! Good Morning!!!!! Cassie smiled, she had caught their attentions.