quarter

I laid down on the cold hospital room bed and a tear escaped my eye.

There's nothing wrong with me. I'm just a little sick, I know it. I thought to myself.

I felt my stomach doing all sorts of flips and immediately pressed hard on my abdomen to try and stop the pain.

"Can you play some music? It'll calm me down. Please." I looked over at my mom and almost begged her for music.

She got my phone out of my pocket and and played Circles by Pierce The Veil.

I closed my eyes and listened to the lyrics.

You took my hand and then we both started running, we both started running.

I heard a knock at the door. The music stopped.

I looked up expecting a doctor, but saw
Johnnie, Bryan, and Kyle walk in instead.

"Oh my god, Imogen. Wow. Um, I hope you don't mind us being here, your mom let Johnnie know after he texted you." Bryan said with a nervous tone of voice.

Johnnie immediately ran up to me and held my hand. He told me hello and then kissed my forehead.

He really is a great guy.

Kyle just kinda stared, and didn't say anything.

"Bryan, Kyle, y'all want to sit over here?" My mom pointed at the two empty spots on the couch next to her.

"Yes, Ms. Beckham, thank you." Bryan said and both him and Kyle walked to the couch and took a seat.

Johnnie didn't leave my side.

I truly appreciate you.

Just then, I heard a knock at the door, and a doctor with two nurses at his side walked in.

"Imogen, hi. I'm Dr. Hastings." The doctor extended his hand and I politely shook it.

"You're Ms. Beckham, correct?" The doctor turns to look at my mom, and she nods.

"And you must be the boyfriend." He turns and looks at Johnnie.

"Yes." I replied for him.

Both Johnnie and Kyle's eyes widened, but for different reasons.

"Imogen, you do realize that your condition is serious, right?" The doctor looked at me with a serious look on his face.

"Uh, no. I just have a stomach virus, don't I?"

"No Imogen, you don't."

Johnnie squeezed my hand tighter.

"You have stage three gastric cancer."

The world stopped.

My eyes closed.

My breath shortened.

Tears spilled out of my eyes.

I had cancer.

Johnnie pulled me into a tight hug, and at that moment, I never wanted to let go. I heard a sniffle, and look up to see Johnnie crying. He wiped a falling tear from my eyes and said :

"I'll be with you through it all, Imogen. I won't leave your side, I promise."

I don't deserve you.

I kissed his cheek and hugged him even tighter.

My mom walked up to me with tears and her eyes and told me that everything was going to be okay.

Bryan cried, and Kyle just stared off into space.

"Gastric cancer is caused by a tumor in the stomach are-"

I quickly cut the doctor off.

"But, but I never showed any symptoms or anything. I don't, I don't understand."

"Imogen, patients with gastric cancer don't start showing symptoms until it's very far in. You have a quarter sized tumor in your stomach, and it's beginning to cut into it, hence the vomiting of blood and loss of appetite. I can take the tumor out with surgery. Are you willing to let us operate?"

I looked at Johnnie and his tear stained face, and I had to do it for him.

I saw my mom's pained expression, and I had to do it for her.

I saw Kyle's blank face, and I realized that I needed to do it for him, too.

"Yes."