Chapter Eight.

A/N: 5SOS said they were going to be the relay team and I died. 😂😂😂 did I predict the future? Yes I know its Norwest and not Northwest, bit autocorrect is having its way. I'll change it in editing.

It was Friday afternoon and the athletes of Northwest were gathered around the school's bus handing permission slips to their respective coaches. The cheerleaders were there too but they were waiting to get in a much better air conditioned bus on the way to their championship.

Riley was beside Erika looking like the girl's polar opposite. Riley had recently cut her black hair letting it now fell a little below her chin, her bangs falling cutely on her forehead. She was wearing a Queen tank top and ripped jeans and a pair of combat boots while her girlfriend was in an oversized varsity jumper and blue joggers (since she needed to be comfortable if she fell asleep on the bus) and white Converse. Somehow it all fit together as the girls leaned against the pillars outside of the school.

Michael got out of his mum's car making the girl's eyes light up at the sight of her best friend in the school's track uniform. Michael was getting used to the feeling of being on a school's track team. Even though most of the people around him (except Riley because she was just going to support Erika)  were dressed the same way as he was, but, he still felt like he was sticking out from the crowd. He moved towards his friend's letting the shorter girl wrap her arms around her neck. Riley squealed holding her friend at an arms length examining the boy's sweats. 

"You look so good..." She squeaked poking the crest that was printed onto the black long sleeve t-shirt he was wearing. 

"Thanks."

Michael smiled accepting Erika's hug before the girl pulled away fixing his fringe. "So track..."

Michael laughed, "So cheer..."

Erika nodded, watching as her bus rolled onto the the school's parking lot. "It's time to go," the pair looked back at the large bus. "Good luck Mikey." The two exchanged another hug before he looked over to Riley who was rocking on her heels waiting for her turn to hug her friend again.

"Text me when you guys get to the hotel." Riley ordered watching in the group of cheerleaders that were close to the bus, trailing closely behind her younger girlfriend. "And if Luke takes off his shirt after he runs, take many pictures."

Michael chuckled as the girl moved out of the hug picking up the bags that Erika had left behind before running off to join her girlfriend.

"Enjoy the cheer-leading competition." He called after the girl.

Michael looked at the group of athletes gathered around their own bus. He wasn't sure why he felt intimidated by this group, he'd gone with them on many track meets before...as the waterboy. Now he was going to spend five hours on a bus full of people he didn't really know.

The only people he really ever talked to from the crowd of athletes were Jacob, he was busy making out with his girlfriend —Joanna he believed— since she was leaving with the cheerleaders and he also doubted that the boy would be up to going to the track meet with his broken leg, even if it was in a boot. Even though Ashton was kind to him during practices, he didn't really know the boy and it would probably be awkward to sit next to him for the entire bus ride. Michael tended to shy away from conversations with Calum. The boy was a bit snobby at times but he was still nice at times, however, Michael definitely know him and didn't want to spend a bus ride with him.