Chapter two

"Heather! Up and at 'em, babe!"

Aunt Mary flung my drapes open. Sunlight instantly flooded the room, searing my cornea. I gurgled in pain, it sounding suspiciously like a dying cat. I hid my face under the pillow. The pillow was ripped off my head.

"Heather, get up! Or you'll be late. I have muffins in the kitchen, get dressed and come eat," Aunt Mary coaxed. I grumbled, but sat up. I rubbed sleep out of my bleary eyes, but the attempt failed.

Aunt Mary threw a pair of socks at me, and promptly left my room. I caught the socks, and slid out of bed. Padding to the bathroom down the hall, I could hear Noah snoring in his room.

I locked the bathroom door and grabbed my toothbrush from the cup where my, Noah and Aunt Mary's names were all printed nicely.

I practically strangled the toothpaste bottle before throwing it back in the door. Have I mentioned I am not a morning  person?

Understandable I hate mornings. Too early, too cold. It's five thirty and six frickin' degrees!

As I wiped my teeth with the wet toothbrush, I glanced up at the mirror and stepped back in surprise. I couldn't believe my reflection. My hair was wild, frizzy and knotted. My skin was slightly red, and my eyes were squinty.

Holy crap, I look terrible!

I looked like medusa. I didn't doubt that a person could look at me like this and run screaming. Slightly, I laughed to myself. That idea was funny.

"Heather, hurry up in there," Aunt Mary called as she knocked on the door. I rolled my eyes, and rinsed my toothbrush.

Back in my room, I picked a blue shirt, leggings and cardigan. My hair was pulled back into a ponytail, in attempt to hide the frizz.

I caught the bus, barely. My muffin, sadly had been eaten by my brother, who of which got the nastiest look I could muster. As the bus pulled around the corner, I took deep breath and watched the white puffs of oxygen evaporate in the frosty air.

It was my first day on the bus since second grade. My parents had always walked me to school. Our house had been across the street. Aunt Mary's house was on the outskirts of town, ten minutes away. I didn't know any of the kids on my route. The bus was almost scarier than AP Chem.

I clambered onto the shaking yellow demon, and stood at the front of the bus. I flashed a look over all the seats, searching for an empty one.

There weren't any.

"Um..." I looked over at the door.

"Kid, take a seat or we'll all be late. Then my butt is the one that gets kicked," the bus driver complained, in a harsh New Jersey drawl. A girl about my age stood up and waved me over.

"I have an open spot," she called. I groaned internally, and made my way down the aisle.

Oh good god. She's one of those preppy girls. Kill me.

I slid into the seat. She stuck her hand out at me.

"Penelope Weiss. Greet to meet ya."

I studied her. Penelope had shiny, lemon coloured hair. It reached the seat, and pooled behind her, a great difference in contrast to the bland seats. It was pin straight, and highlighted her warm milk chocolate eyes. Her pleasant, round face had a few freckles and red cheeks.

"Yeah. Um. I'm Heather. Morrison. Please don't say anything," I said, almost tired of my infamousness.

"Right, okay. Let's just be friends then? You were in my English class two years ago, I thought you were a great person. You used to be really nice."