Chapter four

I was absently staring at my hands when the door to my room creaked open. It was around noon now. According to Cynthia, I had been asleep for near two days. She told me that I was brought in around midnight on Friday, when I overdosed. My stomach was pumped and I was put on an IV drip for nourishment. I had slept in my anti depression drug induced slumber for a good twenty two hours.

My aunt rushed through the door, practically flying to my side. Dr. Spencer stood a few feet behind her. Cold eyes seemed to puncture my soul.

Look away.

"Oh Heather! I thought you were gone! Oh thank god!" Aunt Mary smothered me in a hug, while my arms hung limp at her sides.

"I'm glad you're okay, Heather. Let's talk," Sarah Spencer said quietly. "I'd like a moment alone with Heather, if you don't mind Mary."

Aunt Mary pressed her lips in a thin line, looking very much like she did mind.

"I don't know if a talk therapy session will beneficial right now, Sarah," she said through an obviously fake smile.

"Oh, I'm sure Heather would like to talk about this ordeal. Please, leave us be."

"I don't feel comfortable doing that, Heather will talk to you on Friday," my aunt replied.

"Heather is in the room and is tired of people making decisions for her," I said loudly. Both ladies looked at me.

"You're right, I'm sorry sweetie. If you want to talk, you can," my aunt said.

"I think it would help what you're feeling, a lot," Sarah Spencer put in.

I fingered the blanket before saying, "I think I'd like you to leave. I don't want to talk to anyone."

She stared at me, before smiling.

"Of course sweetheart. You let me know when you're ready."

Aunt Mary opened the door for Dr. Spencer, then proceeded to sit next to me.

"That includes you, Aunt Mary. I want to be alone."

"But Heather-"

Cynthia picked the perfect moment to come in. The door barged open and she flew in with a clipboard.

"Hi Emma... oh. Am I interrupting?"

Before my aunt could open her mouth, I said, "no. Aunt Mary was just leaving. She has to go look after my brother." When my aunt didn't stand up, I said in a more forceful voice, "he needs her. Now."

She stared at me for a full forty seconds, our eyes never breaking. I could see the hurt clearly in them. Those forty seconds felt as long as an eternity.

Go away. Don't look.

Aunt Mary stood, and gathered her coat. She didn't look at me, and muttered a goodbye before stalking out the door.

Cynthia stayed quiet until she left, but once the door closed softly, she turned large brown eyes on me.

"I take it you don't have the best relationship," she said. I shrugged.

"She's not my mother."

My mother is dead.

"Right, I get it. Anyways, Emma. Your doctor wants to speak with you, about how the overdose happened and how large it was. Okay? He'll be in here in a second."

I nodded listlessly.

Will he make me go away again? Is he going to be mad? Will he know I did it on purpose? Will he tell Dr. Spencer? Or Aunt Mary?