Chapter 7

Chapter 7

After a difficult and quite long time of dealing with secretaries with more lipstick on their teeth than on their mouth, mounds of paperwork, and grumpy teachers, Aria, Emily, Hanna and Spencer were finally enrolled in Hollier High School. The day had been (surprisingly) not as bad as they thought it'd be. The guys mostly gave them hovering once-overs, and practically all of the female student population gave them glares of jealousy, the likes of which they hadn't seen in a long time.

The teachers had been watching the four of them like hawks, their eyes narrowing whenever the girls entered a room with Emma. It was clear to them that most people believed any friends of Sutton's were bad news. So far the super-special first impression they had given was pretty bad, minus the factor of boys.

It was only 10:47 AM, but Aria could not stop staring at the ticking clock above her. It reminded her of the days she would spend waiting for English class, just so she could see Ezra. But now he was gone, and Aria was left to spend her days mooning over her lost love and flirting with cute guys, only to lose interest ten seconds later. Even if she'd been the one to break up with him, it still hurt. A lot. 

She darted her gaze over to the left, hoping to help pass time by not checking. Quickly, Aria caught the eye of a dark-haired boy sitting at the desk diagonal to hers. He turned, and she got a full view of his attractive appearance. Aria took in his round eyes, thick eyebrows and closely shorn hair. The guy was dressed more casually than his other male classmates, wearing camouflage cargo shorts and a soft, tight gray T-shirt that showed every contour of his well-muscled chest. His eyes were a startling green, wide and shiny. They seemed to pierce through her and she shrunk back tentatively.

He didn't blink, just stared at her intensely, in an almost surprised, but knowing way. But before Aria could make a joke about how boring the class was, he'd already turned away. She grunted. So much for that lousy attempt.

An Asian woman with man-short hair and wearing a short green dress that was in no way flattering marched into the room. Everyone scrambled to their places, coughing and grabbing their books and pencils. Emily tried to remember what class she was in. German in Room 104. Great. Like foreign languages were going to help them with their case.

Since the staff hadn't had enough time to gather different schedules for the four of them, they were instructed to copy off of Emma's. It was easier that way for them, supposedly, but Emily couldn't help feeling this was all a waste of time.

She turned her head to the side, dark waves of hair flying around her. They fell in place shortly and Emily ran her tongue over her teeth. Cracking her neck, her ear pointed up towards the ceiling.

"Oh my gosh, look at Sutton!" a voice whispered from behind her. It was squeaky and high-pitched.

"Her outfit is so ugly!" another giggled. "Did she forget who she was and decide to wear a garbage bag for the next year?"

Emily stopped and listened. Gossip. It was so typical. And about a dead girl. How cynical could you get? What they didn't know was that they were messing with the wrong person. A weird part of her mind wondered if Sutton's ghost was watching, and had heard the while thing. She'd probably be shaking her head. Or, better yet, shooting back insults. Emily sometimes imagined that whenever people talked shit about Alison, she was watching over them and spitting out clever retorts. It was what she would've done if she were still alive. 

Should she say something? Emily was never really the type to speak up. And that has to change, she decided.

 Fiddling with the thin straps of her tank top, she turned all the way around, pressing her knees to both sides of the chair. Emily leaned forward, placing her chest on one girl's desk. She had bright red hair and a white sweater on. The girl next to her was wearing jeans and blue tee. She was assuming was the one who said the comment.

"Like, totally. You guys are so much better than her." said Emily.

The girls blushed and smiled, obviously pleased.

"Oh, wait, that's just the delusion you choose to believe. Because not only are you completely AWOL when it comes to education, you also spew more trash than a freakin' landfill." Emily finished.

The girls sat in shock, not saying a word. But before they could, Emily had turned around and was focusing intently, watching as the teacher wrote her name on the chalkboard in spiky handwriting, running the yellow chalk piece over, making a sharp line underneath. Serves them right, she thought.

"For those of you who do not know me, I am Frau Fenstermacher, your German teacher this semester." From her clear, Lucite-framed glasses, she glanced at Hanna, Spencer, Aria and Emily, before landing her gaze on Sutton angrily. 

Hanna leaned back in her chair, crossing her legs as the teacher started roll call. She admired the black cutout wedges she'd lovingly packed. They were her favorite shoes, and they went great with the dark wash skinnies she was wearing. She couldn't help but give herself props on her sense of style. Since she most definitely did not care about Spanish or whatever, she had to fill her mind with something.

"Is there anyone I did not call?" Frau asked in a sharp tone, pacing slowly around the room.

Hanna shot her head up, gold chandelier earrings shaking around delightfully. Spencer's hand flew up into the air, followed by Emily's and Aria's. Hanna suspected she should also raise hers as well.

"Okay. What is your name?"

"Hanna. Hanna Marin." She said it confidently and professionally, wanting to sound like she was sure of herself.

Frau Fenstermacher nodded, scribbling the name down on her class list, then asked for Spencer, Aria and Emily.

Spencer tuned out as soon as Frau began the lesson. Although she was one hundred percent positive that she wanted good grades, now was not the time. Maybe she'd do a project on the capital of Germany later, to make up. She was still amazed about being here. It felt so strange, being so far away from home, but feeling so close to winning. The chances that Emma knew what they were going through, how hard it was, it was one in seven billion.

Messing with the buckle on her Urban Outfitters bag, she considered what was going to happen. How were they going to find out what Sutton and Alison had in common? What they knew about each other? And what was A's plan? Spencer moved her eyes up to look out the window. Suddenly, the tree she'd been eyeing shuffled, scaring her from her spaced-out state. A figure stood nearby, dressed in a dark hoodie and matching gloves. Her heart skipped. She was looking right at A, and was completely helpless. 

So damn helpless.