Chapter 12

I lay on my familiar giraffe print rug in my room, stomach pressing down on the floor. My mini Dell laptop was in front of me, turned off. I squinted at my almost reflection in the screen. My chocolate colored hair lay in waves around my shoulders, and I had put on some makeup.

Blue eyeshadow drew the attention to my eyes, and the combination of cherry Chapstick and LipLuscious gloss made my lips shine perfectly. I smiled at myself. I was preparing a video chat with the girls, and I had to look perfect.

Finally, I tapped the power button on my computer, and it came to life with a buzz. I moved the mouse over to the AIM icon. My parents had installed it, insisting I use it. I gave in and did so, too lazy to search for another program. I started up a video chat session with Charlotte and Madeline.

They were both online, and in just barely a minute, their faces popped on my screen. I pursed my lips. Charlotte's AIM user was SexyRed18, and Madeline's was swanlakemafia.

"What's up, Sutton?" Mads asked. She was in her kitchen, filing her nails while eating a bowl of fresh fruit. Typically her, I thought.

"We need to talk. This is serious." I changed my tone, leaning forward closet to the webcam do they could see just how important this was. Both girls straightened.

"What's the problem now?" Charlotte folded her hands under her chin and wrinkled her nose, which was not a pretty sight.

"One name. Alison DiLaurentis." I paused for effect, to let in sink in.

"Ali's back?!" Mads squeaked.

"Don't get so excited, Mad. She's completely changed! I swear, I saw her earlier and she was a total bitch!"

"Yeah, so? We're the meanest bitches this town has ever seen." Charlotte said.

"No, it's different. She insulted us! And practically called us losers!"

"That fucking skank!" Madeline shrieked.

Just then, another face appeared on my screen. It was Laurel. I frowned.

"What on earth are you doing?" I sighed, exasperated.

"Chatting with you guys, silly!" Laurel beamed.

I wanted to strangle her through the computer. "Ugh, Laur, did we invite you? No? I didn't think so." I snapped.

She looked hurt. "Are you at JCPenney?" Char chimed in.

"Wow, that's low for you, Laurel." I added. Why were they accepting her in? Without permission, she had budged in on a private conversation, and they weren't even trying to make her leave!

"We're talking about Alison." Madeline revealed. No! What were they doing?!

"Ooh, really?! Is she back in town?"

"Forget we said anything. This chat is over." I tapped the ESC button and ended the conversation. The window closed, and I was left alone, staring at my small laptop. I closed it, and walked off. I'd have to deal with this later.