Chapter 10

Chapter 10

Emma pulled her face away from the kitchen window. Had they gotten in? She hoped so. It was the end of the day, and she wanted to see Ethan. Ethan was the boy she had met at Nisha's party a few weeks ago where she'd been "kidnapped" by Madeline, Charlotte, and Laurel.

He was the only one who knew that she wasn't Sutton, and therefore the only one she could really trust with her life. Everyone was a suspect in this game, and she had to keep an eye out. Emma still had the note Laurel had pulled from her windshield wiper reading "Sutton's dead. Keep being her or you're next."

It was hidden in a cardboard box at the top shelf in Sutton's enormous closet, along with a few other things, like lists of suspects, strange things at school and other topics related to the mystery. Emma considered it the detective box, where she kept it all. There wasn't a day she didn't long to add more to it.

I was glad Emma had the mind to keep the information together neatly. Would I have been as smart and sneaky as her had our roles been reversed? I didn't know, but I knew she would bring my killer to justice. It was just a matter of time.

Emma ran up to Sutton's room and ducked under the bed, reaching for her old, banged-up Blackberry that she kept hidden. Sutton's iPhone was for her friends and parents. Only on her secret phone could she discuss case details. Maybe she should get Alison's friends' numbers on it. 

CAN I C U 2NITE? she tapped in blocky font in a text to Ethan. She hit SEND and dropped the phone onto the teal and black bedspread. It bounced and landed smack in the middle, creating wrinkles and creases in the smooth texture. A few seconds later, three hundred to be precise, a muffled ding-dong emanated from across the room.

Emma had gotten up and was busy throwing away the dying flowers at her windowsill. Someone had to get around to cleaning, since Sutton never did. She'd already recycled all the soda cans and bottles of alcohol about the room, cleaned out underneath the bed and desk, revealing some potentially thought-provoking things, such as a picture of Sutton and a blonde girl.

The picture was clearly old, as Sutton wore braces and braids, something she'd never be caught dead in today. The girl with her was stunningly beautiful, with blue eyes that seemed to say, I know more than you think I do. Her hair was curled in ringlets all around her. She wore a confident smirk, showing off a dimple on her cheek.

Emma put the picture on her desk and went to answer her phone. This time, I tried to stay a little behind. As she hopped on the bed and gabbed with the boy, I kneeled down (or at least tried to) and studied the photograph. I was instantly shocked. 

The girl in the photo was Alison. 

It was me and Alison together. Didn't Emma realize how huge this was?! Looking at the background, it seemed like we were at a club of some sort. At our age? Damn, I really was reckless.

I tried to see if I could conjure up any sort of memory. But I only got a flash before it disappeared. I wanted to think more to myself, since this find was huge. Before I could, I was tossed forward, inches away from Emma, who was making plans to hang out with Ethan tonight. "No!" I cried helplessly. I could only get back to the snapshot if Emma did, but it lay on the desk as my twin got ready for her night out.

I sulked as she put on my lipstick, went through my closet, picked out my blue dress, and clipped in my pearl tear-drop earrings. I guess she had finally learned how to dress around here. It wasn't fair! I was left behind to die in some hole with dried blood caked to my hair while she got to take and take and take. Emma got to talk with my friends, hang with my family. But my anger faded as I realized just how much of a favor she was doing me. Taking my place, solving my murder.