Cliché lovey dovey story!

1984

(ALTERNATE UNIVERSE)

Laura glared at her older sister. She was at it again, hanging out with like 15 boys at once and smoking those stupid balls of paper with nicotine shoved inside of them.

The older looked over her shoulder, smirking at the sight of the younger.

"Oh c'mon, Laura!"
The older sister teased.
"You can't have just a little fun?! It's Saturday night for god's sake!"

Laura's eyes narrowed.
"When I tell mom about this, you're gonna be in so much freaking trouble!"

"Oooh, language."

"Oh shut up, you know it's true!"

"Sorry Princess. But what, you're gonna be a buzzkill now?"

"If it's because of this, yes!"

"Oh ratting out the older again, eh? Wow. Goes to show how much you care about me, teacher's pet."

The words stung the younger like knives, a lump in her throat refusing to go away. Tears filled her green eyes and she bit her lip. Laura paused, looking down to her feet and sighing.

"So? You gonna call mom?"

"Whatever... Just... Just forget it."

The short ginger trudged out of the room and made her way up to the balcony. Wrapping her hands together and placing them on the railing in front of her, gazing at the sky.

"Stupid party with stupid goddamn people..."

She wiped her eyes, sniffing. The young red head was about to let out a small whimper, but jumped as the door behind her opened.

It was taller lad. His hair black and rather ruffled, and his eyes were bright blue.

Chewing on the cigarette in his mouth and walking past Laura, not knowing she was there, he sat down on a folding chair nearby and let out a small hum of boredom.

She only gazed, waiting for him to notice her. But he didn't, he thought he was alone, which might've been the case on why he started singing.

"And now, the end is near, and so I face the final curtain, my friend, I'll say it clear, I'll state my case of which I'm certain..."

He had a wonderful, smooth voice the red head admired. Her lips curled into a smile as he later finished the song.

"Yes, it was my way..."

As he stopped and studied the small smoke in his palm, he tossed it off the balcony and let out a breath.

"You're really talented."
She finally spoke.

He jumped and glanced over, then broke into a small chuckle.

"I'm sorry miss, I didn't know this was your balcony."

"It isn't, well, it's my family's at least. You're certainly welcome to be on it."

He grinned.

"Thanks."

"So, what brings you over?"

"Well, I'm a friend of your sister's."

Laura frowned.

"Oh."

"But..."
He whistled.
"She's sort of boring. The usual 'kiss me and get out' type. No offense..."

Laura grinned.
"None taken. I totally agree."

"Well it's nice to see that we're on the same page."

The shorter nodded, studying her hands.

"She can also be bit of a brat sometimes... And by sometimes I mean all the time."

The male shook his head.

"I've heard, I've heard indeed. But hey, you're much kinder."

"Thank you."

"And smarter."

"... Thank you."

"And prettier."

Laura blushed.

"You flirtin' with me?"

He smiled warmly.

"Maybe..."

The red head broke into a laugh.

"Smooth, very smooth... Uh, what's your name?"

"Frank. Frank Sinatra."

"Frank... I like it."

She put her hands in her pockets.

"You wanna go to a coffee shop or something?"

"I'd love to, but I call paying for the drinks."

"Wow, for a boy who probably listens to Van Halen or something, you're quite the gentleman."

He raised and eyebrow and giggled.

"I actually listen to jazz."

She giggled in return.

"Oh whatever! Let's just go. I'm tired of smelling smoke."

He took her hand softly and began to walk with her.

"Let's."

(This is for 21Grace21, knowing how much you like Frank Sinatra. ☺️)