Sticky Date Cake with Butterscotch Sauce

This comes from another of my Australian Women's Weekly cookbooks, this one is "Wicked, Sweet Indulgences."

Sticky date cake can be very sweet, but you wont find that with this recipe. This has just the right amount of sweetness to it. This is one of those recipes that I changed - it used to be a sticky date roll. I tried making that and my rolling skills aren't that great - lets just say it wasn't a roll when I was finished with it! So I changed it to just a cake.

INGREDIENTS:

Cake:

1 Cup (160g) Pitted Dates

3/4 Cup (180ml) Boiling water

1 Teaspoon Bi-Carb Soda

50g Butter, chopped

2/3 Cup (150g) Firmly packed Brown Sugar

2 Eggs

3/4 Cup (110g) Self-raising Flour

Butterscotch Sauce:

1/2 Cup (100g) Firmly packed Brown Sugar

2/3 Cup (160ml) thickened Cream

100g Butter, Chopped

METHOD:

Preheat Oven to Moderate heat. Line your cake tin, I use a 22cm Spring-form tin

Cake: Combine dates, water and bi-carb in food processor. Place lid on; stand for 5 minutes (this softens the dates). Don't process yet, I did this and the hot water came up and out from under the lip of the lid - what a mess!

 Add butter and brown sugar; Process until almost smooth. Add eggs and flour; process until just combined. Pour into prepared tin.

Bake for about 45 minutes to 1 hour - depends on your oven. Skewer should come out clean when you test the cake.

Sauce: Combine all ingredients in small saucepan; stir over heat until sugar dissolves and butter melts.

Serve cake with a drizzle of  sauce over the top. And Ice-cream of course :)