Boiled Chocolate Cake

Who doesn't love a good chocolate cake. This recipe is so quick and easy. I was given it by some relatives of mine. I used to make one out of the Golden Wattle cookbook, but have found that this one is better. You can't really get it wrong, unless you stuff up the quantities which I've done once! It wasn't very nice then.

Pre-heat Oven 180°C 

INGREDIENTS AND METHOD:

1 Cup Water

125g Butter

1 1/2 Cups Sugar

2 Heaped Tablespoons Cocoa

1/2 teaspoon Bi-Carb Soda

Place first four ingredients into pot on stove, when butter is melted and sugar dissolved stir in the Bi-Carb. The bi-carb reacts with the other ingredients so watch the pot closely otherwise when it rises it will spill over the edges of your pot. Remove from heat. Let it cool down.

I wait for the mixture to settle, and the bubble/foam to go down and then I add the rest of the ingredients:

1 1/2 Cups Self-raising Flour

2 Eggs

I put the flour in first, just whisking it in with a fork, and then add the eggs, whisk in also with the fork.

Pour into prepared cake tin, I use a 22" spring-form pan.

Cook for about 45mins to an hour, ovens differ, when tested with a skewer, skewer should come out clean.

*If you want to change it up a bit, I made it a couple of times with Chocolate instead of cocoa. This gives it a fudge/brownie texture. I used a block, 200g, of dark chocolate (this worked better then the milk chocolate). So I broke up the chocolate and put it into the water and melted it down, when it was almost melted I added the butter and then when the butter was melted down I added the Bi-carb, then just follow the rest of the method from here.