Chapter VI : Enjolras' Promise

~~***~~

Enjolras stopped in his tracks. The man was tall, taller than him, though the same age, possibly older. He was dressed in the bourgeois fashion, a black winter jacket, high collared shirt, ruffled cravat, patterned waistcoat and a wood cane equipped with a silver topper. His features were hidden by the tilt of his head, his eyes covered by the rim of his tall hat. Enjolras stood firm, glaring at the man. From evaluation, this shadowy figure did not have good intensions.

"No, only fainted. Is there a problem, Monsieur?" Enjorlas asked, his voice emotionless. His eyes flicked to the carriage - I could make a run for it-

"I wouldn't if I were you." The man's voice sounded amused. When Enjolras looked back at him, the man had lifted his head. He was greeted with a cold grey glare and a mocking grin.

"I don't know what you mean." Enjolras replied.

"You know exactly what I mean." The dandy mused leaning on his cane. Enjolras did not like him. There was something about his voice, the way he looked at him, and something was terrible about this man. Enjolras saw that he was not in fact, looking at him, but at Joleigh. He tensed clutching her body closer to his own. He was not going to let this man hurt her. Suddenly, a threatening cloud went over the stranger. "Did you do this to her?" He asked in a low voice, his grip tightening on the head of his staff.

"No!" Enjolras snorted in shock.

"If you have...well..."

"I can assure you that I would never do that to anyone."

"Hmm."

"I need to pass." Enjolras took a step to the side, the man mirrored. The man clucked his tongue and glared.

"Where are you taking her?"

"What is it to you?"

"I know her."

"So do I."

"Oh?"

"Yes." The two men stared each other down. Enjolras stiffened when the man took a step closer. Joleigh was still motionless, her dirtied face composed and relaxed. "She's a very dear friend."

"I could say the same thing." The stranger hissed. Did he really know her? How did Joleigh know him?

"Really? What's her name then?" Enjolras knew this wasn't the time, Joleigh was unconscious in his arms, but he couldn't help having this twitching feeling of jealously in the back of his mind. The shadow man only smiled.

"Joleigh. Joleigh Accord." So he did know her. "How do you know her, Monsieur? You don't exactly look the part to be hanging around street folk."

"Neither do you." The man clenched his jaw in agreement. Enjolras was becoming anxious. "She is a childhood friend. And if you can see, she is gravely ill, so if you would kindly step aside-"

"What can you do - may I ask?" The stranger did not move, only stare at him menacingly.

"I can help her." Enjolras persisted, grinding his teeth, "Give her the food that she needs, and shelter." The man looked at him blankly. "And-" Enjolras continued in a lighter voice, "Find her a home. If you would let me pass, I can guarantee her safety." It was not entirely true, but he couldn't wait a moment longer. The stranger seemed to withdraw his attack; he straightened and fixed his jacket around him.

"She must come back." He stated. Enjolras' eyes widened.

"Why? For what reason?" The stranger advanced towards him, yet stopped and looked to the girl in his arms. His hidden grey eyes softened.