Halloween

Around the time of late October, our town would hold a festival for Halloween. I don't really like the holiday because I get easily scared and I don't like seeing others in weird costumes. Even though I despise the festival, I still have to go so I can get money for mom in the hospital. All I do is help out in most of the festival events and get paid at least seven fifty an hour or more depending how much money the festival gets which always comes out as a big success. Still, I don't want to go people of all the creepy people that will be there.

"Aayron, are you still going to dress up for the festival tomorrow?" My best friend Fang asked me. I don't consider him as my best friend sometimes because he's into all that creepy stuff. I hang out with him because we both like art, music, and we love singing. Our interests is the only thing keeping me by his side. It's horrible, I know, but he already knows that. I look at the tall, black haired boy who still has hair as long as mine which is down at his shoulders. I told him to cut it too or he'll mistaken as a girl due to his face features too.

I remember his question and answer, "ah - you know I have to dress up."

He leans closer towards me. We were both in the empty art classroom and paint pictures of the raindrops on the window in the room. "Your picture sucks," he laughs as I see his eyes glued on it.

"My picture is better than yours," I say.

"Yeah? Have you even seen it?" He stares at me with his green eyes.

"I... uh..." I didn't want to admit defeat on the spot. "Shut up and go back to your painting!"

He laughs and does what I say. For the rest of the time we painted until the bell rang for first class period.

After school was over, Fang and I walked in the rain to my house. He's only dropping me off because of how clumsy and easily distracted I get when I walk home by myself. I turn to him and see him facing his phone. He did the same thing last week too; on this day.

"What are you looking at?" I ask him.

He looks at me and smiles. "I don't think it's best to tell you since you'll only be scared." He looks back at his phone and his smile disappears. Oh I see, he must be reading something! He only makes that face when he is reading something that he really likes. Even text messages. But I'm curious about what he is reading. Every story he reads and he tells me about is always good but leaves out the creepy ones.

"You can still tell me," I say softly. "I don't care if it's scary or not."

He sighs and locks his phone. He looks at me and says, "you know that's a bad idea. If I tell you, you're going to try to look it up and then you are going to read it after having one of your 'yes and no' moments. Then, you are going to blame me for a week about reading it. You know you will have nightmares about it too." He makes me sound so obvious.

"I won't this time!" I whine. "I promise I won't read it this time."

"Sure you won't."

I eyed his phone asked again if he would tell me but he says no again. "Oh come on!"

"We're here," I turn and see my house in front of me. How long have we been walking? "I have to go to work so you be a good girl and try no to dilly dally away from home again." He turns around and I grab his white jacket's sleeve. He cocks his head to see me a little and gives me an irritated look. "I'm not telling you."

"Oh please tell me! I promise I won't be a crybaby about it this time!"

"Nope," he uses his other hand to gently remove my hand. "If I tell you, you would probably have too many nightmares. It's best to keep it until you become more confident dealing with horrific things. Later." He walks off leaving me in the rain.