Chapter 4: I Bumped on You

"I've got nothing to do today but smile."

-Paul Simon

🌕🌕🌕

"Sally, let me help you wipe the dishes," Beth offered. 

One week had passed since she came here. The house is cozy and everyday, she went to her tree, her secret place alone whenever she's free for the day. But this day is an exception. 

"No, Beth. I can handle it," Sally refused. "Go and enjoy the rest of the day."

"I don't feel well, Sally," Beth complained. Her head went dizzy and she just wanted to stay in her room but refused.

"Hey, are you okay, Sweetums?" Sally asked, worriedly. "You don't look that good."

Beth just shook her head and groaned. 

"Here, just go to your room and I'll go check on you later, dear."

Beth left the kitchen and went upstairs. After closing her door, she hopped into her bed, tucked herself under the blankets, and went to sleep. 

After a few minutes, she was awoken by someone gently shaking her shoulder. She squinted her eyes and sat up. 

Sally gave her an Advil and a glass of water. She drank it slowly, not wanting to spill water on her bed. 

"Sweetie, I'll wake you up when it's dinnertime, alright?" Sally offered, kindly.

"Yes, Sally," she said quietly. "Thank you."

The woman grinned.

"You're welcome."

As Sally was about to leave her, Beth suddenly gripped her hands. The maid was taken aback and stared curiously back at her. 

"I didn't mean just 'thank you', Sally," she started. "Thanks for being a mom to me, too."

Sally's features softened. She looked at Beth with concerned, glistening eyes.

"I know it's hard for you to lose your mom, sweet pea," she held her hand. "I lost my child too. I miss him."

Beth watched her grabbed a handkerchief from her uniform's pocket. She began dabbing her eyes, wiping her tears away. 

She pulled the woman into a hug, feeling her sorrow. They both lost someone dear in their lives. Someone they needed the most.  

After they comforted each other, Sally excused herself to do some chores. Beth was left alone in her room, feeling the sleep creeping in her consciousness until drifted off. 

🌀

Sunday. A day to spend with her family and the Lord. She woke up, thankful to realized that the pain was eased away from her head. How wonderful how a long good night sleep can do. She went to get dressed, wearing her white dress and brown sandals. 

Looking into the mirror, she knew she had to deal with her hair. Deciding not to waste anytime, she pulled out a headband from her dresser and began fixing her hair. 

She went down to get some breakfast. Her dad, James, and Sally was there, right in the dining table, laughing at a simple joke that James decided to crack. She noticed that Sally was not wearing her uniform but instead, she was wearing a pretty brown Sunday dress and a neat bun. She was joining them to church, she thought. 

After their sad confession yesterday, she felt like she was drawn closer to the woman. They both suffered a tragic loss and it tightened their bond.