Chapter 7: Unexpected Stranger

"Anything that gets your blood racing is probably worth doing."

-Hunter S. Thompson

🌕🌕🌕

Jacob stood there for a moment but turned to leave after giving his sad smile. He stepped on his pace to get some air. 

One thing that came to his mind was the lone tree he had been visiting for almost a year now.

A year. 

It seemed like yesterday when he found out that he lost everything he remembered. That painful memory of an accident never left his mind, even for a minute. Sometimes,  he found himself awake all night, trying to figure out what happened in his past. He ended up with tears soaking his pillow, too desperate to see the light of the dawn. 

Feeling the light breeze tickling his pale skin, he went to the only place that took all his worries. 

🌀

Beth spent hours on her tree everyday and today is no different. A few hours after her lunch, she went back to her room and slipped on her outside clothes. It was nearly late in the afternoon but she didn't cared. Casually wearing her black skinny jeans and her white converse, she grabbed her hoodie and went to take her bike at the garage. 

The weather is fine and the sun is now slowly making its way to the other side of the sky. She saw a tiny pattern of orange scattered. She kept paddling until she reached her destination. 

Watching the wind blowing the lush green leaves bought her to peace. She then stood there, and an idea popped into her mind. She thought of trying something different. 

She stepped forward, grabbing the trunk as she tried to tighten her grasp on its bark. She pulled her feet up but she kept on loosing her grip.

Now, she's trying to climb the tree. 

She gave up. Not only she's afraid of heights. Sally also warned her not to climb any trees nearby so she won't fall and hurt herself. But her feelings were overpowered by a desire to be lifted from the ground. 

She decided to ride her bike all the way to her house and ask Sally for a ladder. It might seem suspicious but she'll work her way out of trouble. 

The door leading to their backyard was open, and Beth hesitated to enter it. Finally, she peaked though and saw Sally sitting on the tiny chair, sipping a hot coffee, her attention completely stolen by a lifestyle magazine. 

"Sally?"

The woman's head bobbed up as soon as she heard the familiar voice coming from the door. She flipped the page and asked, "Yes?"

"Do we have any ladder here? I need to do something with it."

Sally eyed her, suspiciously as she showed her the way to the basement. There it was, the ladder, not a heavy one but with light wooden steps that could help her achieve her plan. 

"What do you plan to do with this, Beth?"

She thought of an answer that would not sound suspicious. She thought of telling Sally the truth. 

"Do you remember the tree I told you last week, Sally? The one I've been visiting everyday?" Sally nodded. 

"Well, I decided to climb it but I couldn't."

"And you plan to do it with the help of this ladder, is it?" Sally confirmed, sternly. 

"Yes." 

Beth bowed her head, ashamed that she couldn't obey Sally's advice not to climb any tree. But, she was surprised when the woman handed her the wooden ladder and said, "Be careful, okay?"

Beth looked up and smiled genuinely. She hugged Sally, the stranger that acted as her own mother and treated her as her child. 

She walked her way to the tree and when she reached it, she was exhausted. The orange light was now clearly visible, indicating that sunset is about to begin. She placed the ladder and starting climbing up, one step at a time. Once she reached the lowest but sturdy branch, she sat with her feet on the edge of the ladder and admired the sun setting out of the orange blanket of the sky. 

🌀

🌀

He sat on the farthest branch of the lone sycamore tree who had been his comfort zone since the tragedy. Suddenly, he heard faint crunching of dried leaves near the tree and a figure appeared. 

Jacob hid beneath the leafy twigs and smaller branches to avoid being seen. As he peaked down, he saw a girl sitting in one of the lowest branch staring at nowhere. He began feeling uncomfortable and released a nervous cough. 

🌀

Afraid of finding something terrible that would cause her nightmares, she stiffen and never looked behind her. She sat there, frozen; still. She thought of jumping down the tree but she's afraid. 

But she's more afraid of something else behind her. She thought of it in her mind, a hideous creature who would devour her whole. That single cough didn't sound anything like a growl but she wouldn't take any chances.

She felt it move from branch to branch, getting nearer and closer. She gripped the fat branch, digging her nails into its bark. She shouldn't be afraid, she thought. 

A little courage rose into her heart and she slowly turned her head behind her.

And she met his eyes. 

And he met her's. 

Author's Note-----

Hey! Sorry I updated late, but school has started and I'm getting busy. I'm finishing this at school night so I hope that you'll appreciate my effort and give it a vote, comment, and share if you want to so that my tiredness will fade away! 

And oh, Jacob and Beth met. I know you're waiting for Seth but be patient, lovies. Soon. 

I hope you like it. xoxo

-Fluffy