Chapter 6

Ladybug landed on the soft grass and scouted the park. Plagg floated beside her. The park was empty and the sun was starting to set below the horizon.

Ladybug sighed, looking around. "Plagg, I don't think he's here."

"I was sure he'd be here," Plagg mumbled. "Maybe he's at his house?"

"No way, he wouldn't want Nathalie or Gabriel to know," Ladybug replied. She squinted her eyes as a cold gust of wind blew past them. Once the wind subsided, she took a step forward and desperately called out. "Adrien?" she said, but her words barely made it out of her mouth.

Ladybug felt the air leave her lungs as she was suddenly shoved forward and pushed onto the ground. Her body ached with pain as she crashed into the grass, hitting the hard dirt below it. Her body throbbed with pain as she slowly rolled onto her back.

Her eyes widened as she saw Simulacrum grabbing a shocked Plagg.

"No!" Ladybug yelled. She brought out her yoyo and flung it at him. It wrapped around his wrist.

Simulacrum turned his head and glared at Ladybug. "Let go," he ordered in a sinister tone.

"Let Plagg go!" Ladybug yelled.

"No. He has the cat Miraculous and I need it," Simulacrum argued calmly. He faced Plagg and gritted his teeth impatiently. "Give me the Miraculous."

"Never!" Plagg yelled, crossing his arms. "I'm not scared of you."

Simulacrum firmed his grip on Plagg, beginning to suffocate him. Plagg's eyes bulged as he gasped for air. Ladybug screamed and yanked on Simulacrum's arm with her yoyo, distracting him for a brief second. His grip loosened and Plagg caught his breath.

"Leave me alone or I'll hurt you. I swear," Simulacrum threatened.

"Just let Plagg go and we'll... give you the cat Miraculous," Ladybug reasoned, putting her hands up. They shook with fear.

Simulacrum squared up with Ladybug and tilted his head. She inspected him in that instant. His eyes were cold and desolate. His face, a cracked mess. His grip on Plagg was deathly. One bad decision, and he could kill Plagg.

"How can I trust you?" Simulacrum asked in the silence.

"Because," Ladybug breathed. "You've always trusted me."

"That's why we had secret identities, right? And why we never told each other them?"

Ladybug gulped.

"No answer?" Simulacrum asked. "That's no fun. I'd love to hear what other lies are gonna leave your pretty little mouth."

"I promise," Ladybug said. "I'll give you the cat Miraculous." She opened up her hand and took a step towards Simulacrum. He flinched. The air felt significantly colder as she inched closer to him.

"Fine," Simulacrum sighed. He opened up his hand and Plagg came flying out. He hid behind Ladybug.

Simulacrum took a step towards Ladybug. He was dangerously close to her now. He looked down at her. "Now where's the Miraculous?"

"I have to get it," Ladybug murmured.

"What?" Simulacrum yelled, his voice booming. It shook the earth. It sounded like Hawkmoth. It... terrified her.

"I have to get it!" Ladybug repeated, the corners of her eyes wetting with tears. But she refused to let them fall. She had never felt so afraid before.

The superhero quickly turned around and soared away.

*

Ladybug landed on her balcony and sat down. She rested her head into her hands. Plagg floated beside her, nibbling on some cheese.

"The Miraculous is in your vanity drawer," Plagg mumbled. "Better get it before you-know-who comes after us."

"Wait," Ladybug said. "I need to talk to Tikki first before I do this. Tikki, spots off."

The transformation peeled away and Tikki flew out of the earrings. She looked at Marinette.

"Thank you for consulting me. So, what happened?" Tikki asked.

"Simulacrum wants the cat Miraculous," Ladybug mumbled.

"Okay, I knew this," Tikki mumbled.

"And I promised I would give it to him."

"WHAT?" Tikki shrieked. "You what?!"

"I know, I-"

Tikki started waving her hands frustratingly in the air. "Marinette! This is not Adrien we're dealing with! We're dealing with a very dangerous villain that's under Hawkmoth's control! If he gets ahold of that Miraculous, that leads him one step closer to the ladybug Miraculous! And if Hawkmoth obtains both and combines their power, Paris is doomed!"

"I know! I know all of that," Marinette sighed.

"We're most definitely not giving him the cat Miraculous! I knew it was a bad idea to have Plagg here... He badly influenced you, right?"

"No!" Marinette exclaimed. "His life was in danger and if I didn't promise to give Simulacrum the Miraculous, he would've killed Plagg!"

Tikki silenced. "But we still can't give Simulacrum the Miraculous. It's too dangerous!"

"Okay," Marinette nodded. "But that means he'll be super mad at me."

"It'll have to be dealt with," Tikki sighed.

Marinette glanced over at Plagg. "Maybe you should stay here," she said wearily.

"As long as I have cheese," Plagg declared.

"It's in the fridge downstairs-"

Plagg's eyes lighted up with excitement and he immediately flew into the home. Marinette gasped in shock. "But be careful not to get caught!" she yelled after him.

Tikki sighed. "He's never going to survive on his own."

"For his sake, he better," Marinette replied. "Looks like it's just you and me, Tikki."

"Yeah."

"Let's get a move on before-"

The ground shook violently then, and Marinette widened her eyes. She clung onto the balcony as she inspected her surroundings. She gulped as she watched Tikki's shocked face.

"-he gets mad," Marinette finished.