Chapter 8

Simulacrum sat atop the roof of a building, looking out over Paris. His blonde hair gently swayed in the wind. He exhaled slowly. His previous actions had startled him.

Adrien was fighting back.

"You could've killed her parents! What were you thinking?" the imaginary Adrien yelled, standing beside Simulacrum.

"I was listening to Papillon!" Simulacrum yelled back.

"And for what? Our happiness? You're so selfish!" Adrien retorted.

"SHUT UP!" Simulacrum yelled. He buried his head in his hands.

"You really should be ashamed," Adrien hissed. "You hurt the girl you love."

"So what? She doesn't love me," Simulacrum replied. "Nobody loves me. Not even my own father."

"Of course she loves us. Don't you notice the way she looks at us? Blushed cheeks, a soft smile..."

Simulacrum lifted his head slowly and widened his eyes as another crack formed on his mask.

"See? You know it too," Adrien said. "Stop this disaster, Simulacrum." He outstretched a hand.

Simulacrum stood up and stared at the imaginary boy standing in front of him. He walked closer and looked at the hand outstretched to him.

He opened his palm and was ready to grab the hand when a powerful force knocked Simulacrum to the side, taking the breath out of him.

The world spun around him as he tried to regain the will to stand. He looked around and no longer saw Adrien standing there. Instead, he saw Hawkmoth.

The villain's face was red with anger.

"Simulacrum," he croaked, his voice laced with poison. "I've been trying to contact you but you wouldn't respond."

Hawkmoth had been trying to get his attention?

"And when I came here, I saw you playing with an imaginary friend?" Hawkmoth screeched. He gripped his staff in anger. "This is not acceptable. Not at all."

Simulacrum backed away, but hadn't noticed until now that he was on the edge of the building. He looked down and saw a tiny street down below along with tiny cars whizzing by.

He widened his eyes and had to keep himself from passing out. He tried to get away from the edge but Hawkmoth moved directly in front of him.

Simulacrum gulped. He manifested the rapier in his hand, causing Hawkmoth to back away slightly. He aimed it at the villain.

"This is strange. An akuma has never betrayed me before," Hawkmoth mused.

Simulacrum shook slightly. He could still hear the threatening voice of Hawkmoth in his head. It pounded, trying to regain control. But he wouldn't listen to it. He was Adrien now.

"I need to find Ladybug," Simulacrum thought, still pointing the rapier at Hawkmoth.

Suddenly, Simulacrum jumped off the building and away from Hawkmoth. He fell through the sky and closed his eyes. The wind stung his face.

Then, Ladybug swooped in out of nowhere and grabbed Simulacrum. She whisked him to safety and landed on the ground.

Ladybug backed away from him and swung her yoyo violently. Her outfit was a tattered mess and her hair fell out of her pigtails. "You know you could've died from that fall, right?" she breathed.

Simulacrum looked away and frowned. He ignored her and held his chest in pain. "Help me Ladybug. I don't want to feel like this anymore."

Ladybug's eyes widened and she stopped swinging her yoyo. "Feel like... what?"

Simulacrum looked up and stared at Ladybug. "Useless, empty..." His mask cracked in several places. "Fragile."

"Adrien..." she mumbled sadly. "I never knew you felt this way."

"Obviously," Simulacrum replied. "No one cares about Adrien."

"That's ridiculous. I do," Ladybug whispered softly.

"That's a lie!" Simulacrum shouted. His hands glowed purple.

"Stop! Stop this now!" Ladybug yelled frantically.

"If you care so much about me, meet me by the school and we can arrange when you hand over your Miraculous," he muttered, the purple butterfly outline returning over his face.

He ran past her swiftly, leaving the superhero in silence. She would have to honor his request. That was her last chance to hopefully fix Adrien.

Ladybug threw her yoyo in the air and flew away, soaring over to the school.