Chapter 9

Ladybug landed on the grass in front of the school. She slowly inched towards the alleyway Simulacrum instructed her to meet him at.

A glass bottle clattered on the concrete, causing her to grip her yoyo. She peeked around the school building and into the alleyway. She could faintly see Simulacrum's outline standing at the end.

Ladybug exhaled and relaxed. She walked forward and slowly, Simulacrum came into view. He stood stiffly, his desolate eyes examining Ladybug.

"Adrien," she said.

Simulacrum didn't flinch. He kept his eyes directly on Ladybug. His face was a cracked mess; it broke her heart.

"You really came," Simulacrum mumbled in disbelief. His hands started to glow purple and, in an instant, his rapier was firmly in his hand. "Hawkmoth said you would," he continued, his voice dripping with poison.

"But I'm surprised," Simulacrum observed. "Surely you realize how low your chances of winning are."

Ladybug widened her eyes. There was a hesitant pause before she spoke. "I guess I do."

A weak smile formed on her face. "But you should know me better. I don't care about the odds. And I don't care what mask you wear."

Simulacrum watched her speak, his lips pursed. He tried to shove away his emotions. He didn't want to be tormented by them anymore.

"Adrien..." Ladybug breathed. "Simulacrum... Or Chat Noir..."

Simulacrum's eyes widened as the nostalgia overtook his mind. A large crack split down his mask and he got into a defensive position. "Tch!"

"If you're in trouble-" Ladybug continued.

Simulacrum started racing towards her, his sword aimed at her chest.

She closed her eyes and smiled. "I-"

The footsteps stopped and the sharp rapier slipped into her chest, piercing her heart. She felt the warm blood ooze out of the wound. The superhero ignored the pain and instead gathered up one last breath as she slipped into the void of unconsciousness.

"-will always come save you."

Ladybug's body teeter tottered as she lost consciousness but Simulacrum caught her just in time. He rubbed her cheek. "I'm sorry but I had to do this," he whispered.

His shaky hands carefully took the earrings off her. A red light filled the air, revealing the girl beneath the spotted mask. Simulacrum's eyes widened as he examined the girl laying in his lap.

"Marinette?!" he yelled in shock. His mask cracked again, and he looked between the earrings and the dead girl in his arms.

"It was you!" Simulacrum exclaimed in joy. He lifted up her head and held it close. "I'm so happy!"

His eyes then filled with sorrow. "Marinette?" he called out, shaking her slightly. "Marinette!"

The realization didn't hit Simulacrum until now. He had killed her. For his own selfish desires.

Tears flooded his eyes. "Marinette!" he yelled. "Wake up!"

"Simulacrum," Hawkmoth hissed to him. "Bring me her Miraculous for your happiness."

"No!" Simulacrum cried, tears running down his porcelain face. "There's nothing in the world that could make me happy if she's not in it!"

He lifted up her lifeless, but still warm, face and pressed his cracked lips against hers. "Come back, please," he whispered, burying his face in her blood covered shirt.

Miraculously, a bright light filled the air and Simulacrum felt the earrings begin to shake. He lifted his head and opened his palm to see them glowing brilliantly.

"What's going on?" he breathed in disbelief.

"The power of love," Tikki mumbled beside Simulacrum, appearing out of nowhere. Plagg joined her. "And luck."

He watched as the glowing light moved from the earrings and into Marinette's chest. He blinked away his tears, watching the event unfold.

Slowly, Marinette opened her eyes. She smiled. "Adrien."

He smiled from ear to ear and hugged Marinette tightly. "You're alright!" he exclaimed happily.

"And you're you again," Marinette replied softly, laying her hand on his leg. Adrien looked down and he was in his normal clothes again. He examined his hands and they were peach colored; no longer the black of the suit he was in as Simulacrum.

"I'm so sorry," Adrien replied, holding Marinette close.

"It's okay," Marinette replied. "I'm at fault, too. You were hurting inside, and I was too naive to notice."

"Because I didn't want anyone to carry that burden. I hid it on purpose," Adrien whispered, holding Marinette close to his chest. "From now on, no more hiding. Right, Ladybug?"

Marinette widened her eyes and a blush formed on her cheeks. She looked at her attire and realized that her secret was out. "Right," she mumbled embarrassingly.

Adrien chuckled and gave Marinette her earrings back. "Well, we'd better transform and clean up the mess I made. Not to mention the part I explain to Paris what the heck happened these past few days."

"Good idea," Marinette replied, sitting up.

Adrien outstretched his hand to her. Her heart quavered in her chest since she was a little off guard seeing Adrien so close. But she knew he was Chat Noir, so there was no reason to be nervous around him. She grabbed his hand and he helped her up.

"Shall we, my lady?" Adrien asked, their fingers intertwining.

Marinette nodded. "We shall."