I Don't Believe - Chp 1

“[A] final comfort that is small, but not cold: The heart is the only broken instrument that works.” ~ T.E. Kalem

I sat huddled on my bed in my huge doona sharing chocolate and my doona with the person sitting across from me; my best friend Charley. We were curled up in blankets and with such sweet and sinful foods on a warm glorious autumn day because we were moping. We were moping over the male population, the dates, the failures, and of course the broken hearts.

We had given up.

“Yeah right.” I shrugged off rolling my eyes, nevertheless a smile tugging at the corner of my lips, threatening to break free.

She laughed reaching for her chocolate milkshake “I know.” She agreed in total excitement “As soon as I heard that I swear I was so close to kicking his head in” she said “by this much.” She said demonstrating as she left less than a centimeter between her finger tips.

I smiled, I had to admit I was one lucky person; I had Charley. I watched and examined her as she babbled on about her dreadful date. Her face all lit up and excited, her red curls hung around her face nicely having grown over Christmas looking nicer long. As she spoke her brown eyes glistened from the sun creeping through my bedroom, her pale and freckled skin went well with her fiery hair, matching her rosy cheeks and the dotting of those cute innocent freckles. Charley was an evenly portioned girl, everything was balanced out greatly, and she was lanky but had a toned body with long luscious legs that the male population drooled over with an animalistic hunger. As she got to the more dreadful part she became more animated as her hands flew around wildly. Yet that was Charley, she was always over eager and animated.

Charley was a beautiful girl who had one or two guys always at her toes like servants but Charley never dove into the pond, she always waded in or sat on the edge. Charley and I had been best friends since kindergarten or earlier since she lived across the street, I knew her more than my own family.

It all started the day her mum and her moved in across the street, her mum beyond frazzled at her missing daughter who was nowhere to be seen. Mum, going over to welcome the new neighbors sporting me attached to her hip as I shyly hid my hair, mum found Kate, Charley’s mum literally emptying the contents of her boxes on the footpath and in view of the public. Moments later mum was also on her hands and knees basically hunting for innocent old Charley. It wasn’t until mum noted that I was also missing that things became….crazed. They searched for ages, emptying boxes, pulling apart containers and shoving aside furniture to be moved in recklessly. Hours later after they came out onto the front stairs did they hear the cheeky giggles nearby. Mum claims that simultaneously the mother’s glanced down to see through the boards of the porch to find two sets of eyes looking up at them with wide eyes and laughter. Charley and I had found ourselves underneath the porch and basically the house, covered in muck and dirt.

To say that we’ve heard that story told so often would be an understatement.

“So pretty much the moral to that story was; make sure there is no chewing gum.” She said rolling her eyes dramatically. I shuddered to think of what I had missed luckily in that story as she had been telling me about her most recent date that was beyond awful. “No more dating for a while for me I think.” She suggested as I nodded smiling through my straw “More girl time.” She realized excitedly her eyes wide as she reached for some chocolates.

“That reminds me,” she began after a pause “want to come over tomorrow to help me make the new brownie recipe I found?” she asked clueless to her own agenda.

“School is tomorrow, remember? Tomorrow is Monday.” I reminded her.

“After then?” she suggested.