Chapter 22

Manik

"How did Alya die?", the question left my lips as ugly images of my assaulter lying dead scrambled my head.

"She took a shot. It was straight to her heart.", Cabir spoke in an unaffected tone as he continued surfing his phone.

The visions from the almost empty room flashed in front. And involuntarily my brain started calculating the possibilities. There was me, Nandini, Rahul and her in that room.

It wasn't me as I was already down by her shot and I doubt that with two hands tied Nandini can do something like that. Leaving only one person who was likely to do it.

Rahul.

I vaguely remember pieces as Rahul broke his restrains and pounced on Alya. He was mad with rage and given his past history as a gang leader its highly probable that he is involved.

A surge of disgust flowed through me as I imagined him killing his own sister and momentarily my gaze settled on my little brother Cabir. Whatever he does, I don't think I will ever be able to point a gun at him let alone fire it.

Rahul is someone whom you can't figure out. At first I hated him, later I felt jealous of him. When I learnt his parents were killed and how he was shoved into a hard living I felt sorry for him. And then when I realised how he had mishandled his life and ended in a gang, I didn't know how to feel for him. But now I simply hated him.

I don't like Alya after what she did to us but I couldn't settle with the fact that she died. I should be happy that the person who tried to kill the girl I loved and who shot me is resting in her grave..... But I don't feel it even a little comforting. A small part of me pointed that maybe it was the only way to assure our safety and Rahul was bound with no choice to kill her but a major large part shouted

There Is Always A Choice

He could have knocked her down, taken her hostage or done anything other than taking her life.
My stomach knotted and somewhere I started feeling guilty and involved in this murderous act.

I spared another look to the door hoping for Nandini to come back. It has been quite sometime since she was gone and after getting the new piece of information I don't want her to be ever near Rahul. I believed that he won't hurt the people he loves and care for. Alya's death just proved he can be a monster beyond my imagination. And in his anger he doesn't consider who matters in his life. He just acts without thinking.

My analysis on Rahul was broken as Cabir grunted irritably ,"Dad am hungry".

"There's the cafeteria down, on the ground floor.", Dad suggested.

"I am tired of eating the tasteless food in here. Hospital stuff doesn't suit my stomach, can I get something from outside?", Cabir for whom food is love cannot go on with the shit that gets served here.

"Oh I am tired with it too", Mom supported.

"Why don't you guys go take a bite down the street.", I replied. Seeing the pathetic faces of my family due to hospital food I couldn't help but suggest it to them.

Cabir beamed at my suggestion. Dad however considered whether to leave me here or not.

"You sure?"

"Yeah... I will be okay."

Mom got up and kissed my head. "We will be back soon", she told as they shuffled out of my room.

I relaxed on the bed letting my tired body and mind seek some rest. I wish she comes back soon.

                         ***

It was eleven thirty and I lied on my bed motionless. Sleep had bid her goodbye to me since I practically spent the whole evening dozing. Mom wanted to stay back but I sent her home saying that I will be fine, alone. Moreover she had already taken lots of stress handling me whole day, making sure I had my medicines and food properly.

Dhruv had checked upon me once during the visiting hours but sadly enough I couldn't meet him. I was sleeping.

Before Mom left I asked her whether Nandini had dropped by or not but replied a no. She even told me that Nandini had been here for about 2 days and probably had headed home.

I don't know what triggered my move to call her, whether it was the missing her thing or I cannot sleep thing, I just dialled her number.

It went to voicemail after a few rings and I grumbled. Pick up the phone please..... And I tried again.

I heard the soft click on the other end and her soft voice soothed my ears.

"Hi, Manik."

"Hey....",

And a awkward silence filled in. I don't know why I called her, neither was I among the guys who would be able to strike up a conversation about anything.

And as a result the stupid silence stretched.

"Are you okay? I mean you're alright I guess?", she asked her voice hinted something of being worried.

"Yeah yeah I am fine."

"Okay."

Silence.

"Its pretty late.... I have classes tomorrow and I will visit you after them.", she spoke trying to get over the call.

"Fine then....will be waiting for you. Good night", I wished her a night and we hung up.

The call was weird and I felt stupid to do a thing like that. I grunted and tossed my cell on the hospital bed. It was not the smooth banter we are able to fall into whenever we met. It was stressed and forced. I could sense she was pulling up her walls that she rarely does around me. And I realized that something more had happened than what I know off between her and Rahul. Because the only one capable to play with her mood was her boy-friend.

And for a moment I wished I had met her before Rahul. Make her mine before anyone else could.

Want me to skip sick Manik part and land straight back on college?
Do tell me, as I will probably update the next part today.

Till then vote comment and happy reading.