Chapter Fourteen: Melodies

Hey Paddies, here is the second update!

Blaine's POV

At some point during the night I woke up, surrounded by darkness with Nick's arms securely wrapped around me. I had no idea what time it was and when I have fallen asleep. He was snoring lightly behind me and I found it endearing. Nick and I would be going our separate ways after this wonderful time. My mind was reeling with thoughts of its own. I knew I would miss him dearly, yet I couldn't keep him here with me either.

I slowly, but carefully detangled myself from his tight grip on me. I got out of bed and walked to the living room. It was five o'clock in the morning. He had cleaned the mess we left after dinner and I didn't even register it. My head was pounding so hard so I guess that was what people called a hangover.

I went to one of the quest rooms and took an aspirin for good measures. I didn't know what to do at time with myself and waking Nick up would be selfish so I thought I would keep myself busy by practicing on my piano for a while. I don't know why, but I absolutely love Chopin. Most people will instantly jump to Mozart, Beethoven, or Bach. And I loved all these classical composers. But to me, the pieces from Chopin are exceptional. It's like you can see and feel the melodies. I played lots of Chopin growing up. His Nocturne no. 20 in C Sharp Minor was particularly sad and gorgeous, except for a few major-key motifs showing up in the middle, it was really satisfying to play.

In the course of time I have found pieces that I played whenever I was sad or feeling down and these pieces expressed my feelings. You can't deny that Giacomo Puccini's pieces would definitely bring you to tears if you are the type for Opera. I guess the performance and story were a huge part of that. Aside from that my classical weepie list includes Rachmaninov's second piano concerto, Wolfgang Amadeus , Johann Sebastian 's and Pyotr Ilyich 's . Almost everything Tchaikovsky wrote had an element of sadness to it, but this one for me takes the crown. It was dedicated to his nephew, with whom he was controversially in a secret relationship, it is shot through with regret, sadness and loneliness. What can I say? I'm a sensitive guy and these pieces are my tear jerkers.

Like always I settled down for Chopin. Most of the Nocturnes and other Chopin's pieces are a mix of emotions, though the sad parts are a bit happy and the happy parts are a bit sad...very bittersweet so It's always hard for me to decide between the Nocturne Op. 72 in E minor or the Op. 48 No. 1. Since I don't want to start a war of which one is the saddest, I settled for Op. 48 No. 1. I lost myself in the piece that I didn't see Nick enter the room. My "Piano room" like I called it was soundproofed so I wouldn't disturb the others in the building when practicing.

"God damned! That has to be the most depressing song I have ever heard!" Nick said from behind me.

"It's not a song, it's a PIECE!" I sighed and he only laughed.

"I know B. I was just messing with you. I knew you would be a Chopin fan. The guy's pieces are beautiful, although fucking depressing, but then again you are a sensitive guy so I guess it's cool. The way that Chopin transition in this piece from c minor to c major and crescendos with the octaves and repeated chords at the end is genius. Nonetheless, the juxtaposition of c major and c minor makes that piece sad, as if happiness comes and fades away." He sighed and walked over to me. To say I was shocked would have been the understatement of the century.

"OMG! You speak classical music? Who are you?" I asked perplexed.

"That is fucking racist to think that I only listen to hip hop just because I'm black!" He stated.

"That is not the reason why I'm shocked so stop it. A lot of young people are not interested in classical music." He smiled broadly and I wanted to punch him.