Chapter 3: Daydreams and Butterflies

If I didn't show it when she asked me, I showed it on the way back home.

I was ecstatic.

Mission Accomplished.

The car ride was full of fist bumps, cries of triumph and yodeling.

My theme song that night was "We Are The Champions," and I was celebrating in a way that made even Queen jealous.

What I felt in that moment carried on throughout the night, even as I got home. The moment I stepped through the front door, it was like a king stepping through the threshold of his kingdom, emerging victorious from his battle.

Although my family was looking at me in such a way that probably had them asking what drugs I was taking.

Let me tell you, if love was a drug, I probably would've overdosed a long time ago. I know, it's dramatic and kinda sad, all things considered. But damn, I just felt victorious.

Even as the moon reached its peak, even as the night grew older, soon to be replaced by a young sunrise, I could not sleep. For if my body was confined to the soft comfy cushion, my mind was among the stars, and I was lost in space. Where there are an infinite amount of possibilities, and I'm analyzing the ones that can happen tomorrow.

Okay, in other words, I was daydreaming.

I wondered how everything would go down, from the moment I stepped out of the car, to the moment she'd give me a goodbye hug (if I played my cards right).

Remember when I said I was a hopeless romantic? Yeah, this is why. I'm bound to hoping but never doing. I long for the cuddles and late nights but can never bring myself to that area.

Why is that, you ask?

Well, explaining that'd take too long, and like the clever devil I am, I'll leave it for another time, for if you knew all my secrets, then why read at all? It'd be bad for business and the author would kill me.

So moving on, as you can probably tell I tend to ramble on and on, because I tend to think in continuous flow, like a waterfall, which spreads out even more as it touches the surface. But that sums up the daydreams and longing: a rushing river, constantly flowing, looking for its ocean that it can run to with open arms.

And if you hadn't noticed, I'm cheesy by day, and more often than not, cheesier by night. I'm the Flattered Knight.

As the night rolls on, so do I in my bed. And I'm lost. In the tornado of thoughts in my mind I grasp for sense in it all. As I float needlessly in space I can't even think straight. One thought of what happened and what could happen is enough to send me smiling automatically.

It was around 12 when I heard my phone beep.
It was a picture from Claire. It showed Rachel in her purple pajamas and Angie in a tank top and shorts. The two ladies were posing in front of a pizza box and an empty spaghetti platter. The caption for the photo was: "She cashed in on that dinner after you guys left. Made me pay for a pizza and spaghetti meal. Thanks for that."

Despite my daydreams, I laughed, as they looked so into their meal during their sleepover.

I replied with: "Hahaha, no problem. :)"

It took a few minutes before she replied.

"You're still thinking about it, aren't you?"

She knew me too well.

I wasn't even surprised. Claire and I are actually pretty close, and we would sometimes just talk to each other like this, as if she knew what I was thinking. Perks of having a girl (space) friend, I guess.

"Well what can I say, you caught me. How are they doing now?"

"Rachel's knocked out from the food, and Angie's getting ready to go to sleep. I think I actually overfed them. :)"

"Ah...I see I see. Don't think you can do that to Rachel though."

"She's happy, you know. That you're going. You better not cancel."

I didn't need to ask who "she" was. "Don't bet on it. ;)"

"Don't push your luck. :)"

"I always do." Which, was true. In more cases than none.

"Haha, I gtg, friend duties. I'll see you tomorrow. :)"

"You know it." And with that, the conversation ended.

I saw that the time was already 1 in the morning, but I couldn't sleep still. If I was restless then, I was more restless now.

"She's happy..."

Isn't that what we all want at the end of the day? That's all I want at least. It's the least I could do. And I haven't reached stalker status yet, so that's good.

For some reason, imagining that happiness slowed my speedy mind to a stop at the Dreamland station. And that's where I spent the next few hours before I awakened to see the sun rays kiss my skin.

Okay, too much information. I know, I know.

I woke up to a message from Angie, which said: "Hi! I forgot to remind you that the meetup will be at a pavilion near my village at 2. I'll see you there!"

Okay, good omen for the day: she still expects me to be there.

And now, another dilemma comes into my mind.

What the heck do I wear?

Maybe go formal? Like a suit and tie?

Stupid idea number 1.

Or maybe she'd want to see a formal-casual mix. A formasual outfit.

Stupid idea number 2 right there.

What says, I mean business like a dinner jacket and some slacks, right?

Man, I'm just throwing these ideas out like they belong in the trash.

Oh wait. They do.

They say dress to impress, but I feel like any outfit in mind would just ruin the moment.

Ha. What moment.

Looks like garbage day came early, as it leads out packages and packages of bad ideas out to be burned.

Go casual. That always works right?

I've been told after the party that casual doesn't mean dark jeans and a blue, short-sleeved button down shirt.

But hey, no one told me that before the actual thing, so ignorance is bliss.

In retrospect, I probably should've asked for more information. But that didn't matter anymore, seeing as how my car pulled to a stop, signaling my arrival.

I was so ready.

Famous. Last. Words.