Chapter 9: Chivalry Isn't Dead

It all began with a car ride two weeks before Valentine's Day.

By then, the rush of "New Year's" Jokes have faded since that was so 2015.

Sorry, I had to.

For the past few months, Angie and I were seat-mates throughout all the classes, and it was full of jokes, misused phrases and whole-hearted pick-up lines. In short, it was going great.

I always wanted to do one of those special "pick-up videos" that I always saw on social media, wherein guys "pick-up" girls using lines and whatever they have in their arsenal.

However, I wanted to make it PG and instead of dirty things I'd wind up doing at some point in my life anyway, why not make it cheesy, awkward and in a weird way, sweet, at the same time? The purpose was never meant to feed the sexual hunger or try to get in with any of the ladies, instead, it was fairly superficial: merely to show appreciation for the girls this upcoming Valentine's.

"Whaaaat?" You say? Nick's not trying to get in some poor girl's pants?

Well, there you have it, dear reader. The cheeseball returns. And when he comes, he brings a full quiver of arrows of love.

Though it would've helped to be a better shot, I would've just improvised that as we go along.

This purpose, conceived forth an idea, of songs, guitars, cajons and voices tortured as well as destroyed by puberty: a serenade.

"Dude," I say to Priestly, as we returned home from another event. "I wanna make the girls feel special. I actually wanna do something for them now."

"Yeah, yeah," he says. After a moment, he actually sees reason in my plan, and goes on: "I see where you're getting at. Whatcha got in mind?"

Boom. Caught a member. Now for the awesome game plan.

"A serenade. Like a simple serenade where we just sing these love songs."

"Alright, with guitars and all that jazz?"

"Yeah man. I was thinking of doing them all one by one."

"Don't you do that with all the girls already?"

The man had a point.

"No," I realized what he understood by that. "I mean serenading them one by one. Cause why not? And maybe a different song for each one?"

"Oh."

Heartbeats pass as he thinks this plan through. Over and over again, I can see his gears already working. Finally, the man speaks. "What if it makes them feel awkward?"

Damn you and your good points, Priestly.

He continues, with a new light flashing in his eyes. "What if we do it all at once?"

Interesting. But...

"How?" I ask. "It's not like we can force them to sit in a spot without raising suspicion. Unless..."

Cha-ching! Jackpot. "We surprise them," I exult. "If they won't see it coming, then it won't raise suspicion."

"How'll we do that?"