Chapter 7 - Stench and Alcohol (Part I)

The Horseshoe tavern was unusually occupied for the morning. Each of the six-person tables were taken up by regulars with mugs of mead or herb tea in their hands, or families eating their plates of ham, cheeses and bread. One or two ladies were picking at a bowl of nuts and berries. On either side of each table were a candlestick; burning and melting steadily. The barkeep, Matthew was just lighting the fire; cutting two pieces of flint together with a click, click, click. Mounted above the fireplace was a stag’s antlers. Now aged, much of the whiteness had yellowed like a sickness. Dangling from the ceiling were three chandeliers, half a dozen lit candles resting in iron slots. In the right hand corner was the counter, stools aligned in front of it, barrels and mugs on the selves behind. With natural light streaming through the thin glass windows, the building was bright however the smell of smoke and odour littered the air, almost poisoning it.

The door creaked, as Sammy and Katelyn entered. One or two people looked up from their plates to acknowledge them, or rather Sammy with a polite nod. The news of his mother’s death had spread quickly across the town. Everyone expressed their deepest sympathies and spoke kind words of support; offering up their services should he need them. Sammy hated being known only through his mother. He resented it. Over his shoulder, he held tight to Katelyn’s saddlebag. She’d argued with him about leaving them unattended. She didn’t trust people and Sammy had to agree with her. He looked across at Katelyn to see her playing with her cloak, unwrapping and wrapping it again around her tightly; as if hoping to disappear. But with her hood up and face hidden, of course people were going to notice.

“Will you stop fidgeting? You’re making me feel nervous,” he hissed, pulling her along with him towards a vacant single table nearer the counter, as far away from the other villagers as possible. With a single candle between them, they almost vanished from sight behind a haze of smoke and gloom. Placing her saddlebag on the floor, under the table, Katelyn looked round nervously; suspicious of everyone and what they were doing. Not many gave her and Sammy a second look; returning to their drinks, meals and conversation. Even with that, she was still wary. And hungry.

Sammy, meanwhile looked completely at ease; his arms crossed on the table, his eyes looking around the building. He’d been in the tavern many times, both to take his father home and  to drown his own sorrows. His mother and Matthew were the oldest of friends. She’d come in often to lend him a hand when he was busy or when his wife, Molly was ill or taking care of the children. Other than being the villager’s healer, his mother was a waitress. The best there was. Always smiling and greeting people politely. Everyone enjoyed her spirit and company. Her having spent time in this building, walked these same stone floors, made Sammy feel close to her. And with the way his life was currently running, he needed that sense of her. He chuckled, looking at Katelyn who was playing with her hands apprehensively. She looked up suddenly and scolded at him.

“I can’t stop fidgeting okay?” she stressed quietly. “I’m trying to avoid detection genius. Of course I’m going to fidget”

“If you want to blend in with the crowd, you better relax,” he reasoned softly, leaning over the table so no one could hear. “People can smell a newcomer from a mile away”

“I’m surprised they can smell anything beyond their own stench and alcohol,” she spat harshly,  looking at the table and scratching the rough, sticky surface.

“You haven’t spent much time around peasants, have you?” Sammy asked softly, actually feeling quite hurt by her undermining statement of his neighbours and friends.

“I don’t make it a habit,” snapped Katelyn, without remorse. They sat in silence, the distant sound of conversation bounced off the walls of the tavern. The fire crackled and sizzled with a new log. Then, upon hearing his stomach growl, Sammy rolled his eyes and stood. Katelyn looked up at him expectedly.