Chapter 23 - High Regard

The following morning Sammy woke to the chirping and scurrying of squirrels in the tree tops. The sky was brightening, the last rays of red and orange were faltering away into shades of blue, and clouds were fast flying over. The wood was still, swaying and creaking softly. He lay still for a moment, for the first time thinking about his brothers. Truth be told, he hadn't given them much thought since meeting up with Katelyn in Ashton. With everything that followed, there wasn't much else he could think of, other than his own safety and hers.

But he thought of them now and worried. He prayed they were safe and well. Matthew, the kind hearted fellow, didn't batter an eyelid or question him when they came knocking at his door at dawn. He took the boys in without hesitation and wished him every luck in the world. Saying goodbye to his brothers was the hardest thing he'd ever done, next to saying goodbye to his mother.

Daniel and Cecil promised to keep the twins out of trouble, and the twins promised to keep Harry fed and dressed properly. They held back the tears. They stayed strong for him, but Sammy knew how scared they were. They held him too tightly. Daniel perhaps clung to him with more desperation than the others. He was, after all, the second eldest. The responsibly was now his to bear. Sammy hoped he was coping, that the boys were pulling together and making something for themselves.

He thought of his father, alone in the forge with his grief and empty bottles. He must have surly noticed they were all missing by now. Sammy wondered if he put up the slightly fight to get the boys home. With a frown, he figured not. The boys were better off without him, happier without him.

With a sigh, Sammy pushed the thoughts of his family away and returned to the situation at hand. He looked down, having felt an unusual weight on his chest, and smiled; seeing Katelyn curled up next to him. Her head rested on his chest, her ear placed near his heart. He hoped she couldn't hear it begin to race.

He frowned again. Why was he continuously worrying about such things? Why would the Princess fret over a racing heart, a peasant's heart no less? But, looking down at her, whatever worries or conflicts he had with himself seemed to dissipate.

A smile quickly returned to his face, and Sammy watched her; stroking her cheek with incredible softness. Staring at her as he did last night, he now knew her face by heart. He knew every freckle and curve. The dimples in her cheeks when she smiled. He enjoyed her blush most of all. It was a sudden thing, unexpected and so pure he was afraid of missing it. Her eyes were his biggest weakness. Last night, he had lost himself in them. How curious and wide they were, regarding him as he did her. But he saw how he was puzzling her. Sammy knew he was too close, and yet the unseen tether between them refused to push him away. Truth be told, he was surprised she hadn't done so the moment he leaned in. And that's when the mind began to wonder. And wondering, in Sammy's case, was a dangerous thing.

He yawned then and Katelyn stirred; moaning and burying her nose in to Sammy's shirt. He suppressed a chuckle.

She's not a morning person, he thought merrily.

He nudged her arm. "Katelyn," he whispered. "Come on, we've got to get a move on."

"Five more minutes," she murmured, pleading like a child. With a chuckle, Sammy moved his hand through her long hair, root to tip; both soothing his own curiosity and causing Katelyn to wake properly.

Lazily, she lifted her head and watched him watching her. She smiled, finding the motion comforting. Another reason she smiled, was that Sammy didn't cower away from her as if he would be turned stone by a single touch. He felt, and seemed, more confident in himself and in many ways, Katelyn felt so too. To have opened up to someone about her life and family, it would have taken someone very special to draw out that sort of confession.