Chapter 33 - Like Stone

Katelyn woke to the sound of rustling, and not the kind made by the wind blowing through the trees. She slowly opened her eyes to see Sammy pulling her cloak free of their supply bag, and airing it as quietly as he could. She lay watching him, guiltlessly admiring him.

He looked stern and pale; his brow bent as if thinking hard about something.

Katelyn quickly found herself wishing that he was thinking about the previous night, and about her. Gods know she thought about him, despite her tries not to. She dreamt of him, of being in his arms and feeling his warmth, his body close to hers.

By her own will, she'd awoken several times in the night; pinching herself back into reality. She tried to remind herself of her position, of the duty she bore to her father, to her mother and her people. She couldn't let childish desires cloud her judgement and her objectives.

But, try as she may, Katelyn just couldn't shake him.

Just then, Sammy sighed and looked quickly over his shoulder. Katelyn closed her eyes, hoping he hadn't caught her.

"I know you're awake," he said, his tone deep and without emotion. She opened her eyes slowly. For a long, tense moment, they stared deep into each other's eyes; trying their best to unravel the other's secrets and thoughts.

With every passing second, Katelyn was losing the will not to jump up and wrap her arms around him. She wanted to apologise for the night. She wanted things to go back to the way they were before, relaxed and simple. Now, everything felt tensed, almost suffocating. She wanted it to end.

Sammy looked away first, sucking in a breath and nibbling his bottom lip as he did so.

Katelyn slowly sat up, her gaze still locked on him. "Did you get much sleep?"

"I got enough," he grumbled, getting to his feet and walking over to the horses. She stood slowly, still watching him; a heat spreading from her core to her arms and legs, just everywhere.

How can he act as if nothing happened?! A voice shouted angrily in her subconscious.

"Sammy, what happened last night-" she started. Sammy spun round, frowning.

"It was a mistake. We let the moment get the better of us and I think it best we just forget it ever happened and focus on the present. Alright?"

Katelyn stopped cold, utterly amazed by his willingness to forget that it was he who made the first move. He must have wanted it to happen too, if not then why did he lean in? They were both to blame, surely.

She swallowed her pride and nodded, stiffly, retrieving the bow and arrow and walking into the wood.

"Where are you going?" Sammy called.

"To get something to eat," she spat, without looking back.

Two could play at that game, she thought, tightening her grip around the bow and pursuing ahead with a hunter's determination, and a hunter's heart of stone.

---

Letting Katelyn go was the hardest thing Sammy had ever done, but he knew she need her space. Saying what he did was harder still because despite everything, he just couldn't forget. There was no way.

He had wanted it to happen. That was plain enough, he had made the first move. She must have wanted it too, because she responded to his advances; to his complete surprise and joy.

But, as Sammy stoked up a fire, ready for Katelyn's kill, he tried to fashion himself a suit of stone. He would stop feeling. He would stop wishing for the impossible. He would stop thinking of Katelyn, of her beauty, her laugh and smile, and delicious fragrances. He would focus on the task at hand, and focus on returning to his family.