Chapter 31 - Fears of the Heart

"So, wait. Wait, that constellation is called what again?" laughed Sammy, his cheeks aching. Beside him, Katelyn was giggling, cutely and uncontrollably.

"It's called Pongo," she exclaimed, pointing to the night sky. "I told you, I didn't come up with the names. It's in the shape of a dog, can't you see that?"

"No!" he laughed, pinching his nose. "All I see is a load of bright dots. And why Pongo? Why not something more humble and regal like...Rufus or Growl or- "

"How is a name like Growl humble and regal?"

"I don't know," he shrilled, frowning. "I've been put on the spot and it was the first name that came to mind."

"What kind of person calls their dog Growl?" She asked, a touch of amusement in her tone, and maybe a little mockery.

"A very manly person with no brain."

She laughed, loudly, even as she covered her mouth in attempts to soother it. Sammy couldn't help but join in. This was the most relaxed he'd been in days.

"Gods, you are so uncultured," she smirked, slapping his shoulder gently. Sammy, however much he wanted to, decided not to retaliate. However much he admired her, he feared her more. Even for a girl, she could hit. Hard. He chuckled, a content sigh escaping him.

He heard Katelyn began to name the stars again, but all he could really think about was the feel of her, lying extremely close to him; her shoulder pinned against his. Now, this was nothing new; being within a breath of her. He knew her, he knew her body and the strange, but exciting way it seemed to fit his with every curve. He knew her warmth and soft skin. He knew her in every possible way.

But, in whatever way he thought about, it did feel different.

He felt different. Towards her.

Sammy looked round at her. She was still talking and looking to the stars, completely unaware of his staring. Her voice seemed so far away. He saw her mouth moving, but he heard nothing.

In the firelight, her hair burned ember and everything about her seemed to come alive and soften. The fire danced in her eyes. Her breaths came slow and steady. She looked so relaxed, given everything that had happened in Larton and before.

"Earth to Samuel!" called Katelyn suddenly. His focus widened and he startled. She was sitting up now, on her elbows and waving a hand in front of his face.

He really should stop analysing her. He felt his cheeks radiate with heat. "Huh? What did you say?"

She laughed. "What is going on with you today? You've been acting very odd. Well, more than usual," she smirked.

Sammy chuckled, sitting up and rubbing his sweaty hands on his trousers. "Nothing. I've just been...erm thinking. A lot. About...erm things."

"Oh? Things like what?" she asked, linking her arm through his and leaning on his shoulder. Once more, his heart raced and he cursed at it silently. He smiled down at her, placing his hand on top of hers, glad that she didn't flinch or push him away.

You, his mind shouted. I've been thinking about you.

But as always, the words were jammed in his throat. This was probably for the best. Sammy didn't know how she would react if he declared his...feelings and he certainty didn't want to find out. Instead, he went for another thought.

"Them," he gulped, looking toward the dark mound on the horizon.

The Grey Mountains.

They had finally made it, after travelling all day and most of the night. Their bodies were stiff and sore, but it was worth it. Sammy remembered the relief that washed over him, over Katelyn; seeing a darker shadow emerge from the night. The mountains were greater, much more daunting than he ever thought possible. And at its feet, was the mining town of Holbeck. From the number of lights they saw, Sammy figured it a small town but it would become clearer in the morning. As would the mountains. Without debate, he and Katelyn agreed to stay away from the town; settling to make camp in a cluster of trees they hoped will protect and hid them. Their horses gazed hungrily, before nestling down on the grass, side by side; almost like their riders. Katelyn, using the bow and arrow, shot a pigeon and a squirrel, and Sammy prepared it. The pigeon was particularly good but, as Katelyn had pointed out, it needed salt. He'd laughed at that.