Chapter 20 - Teaching

Katelyn opened her eyes to a clear, starry sky. She heard the sound of running water and felt the pleasant heat of a flame across her cheek. Seconds went by before she saw a definite edge to her surroundings, tall dark figures of trees and a figure crouched beside the fire, holding a stick of something over it. There was a constant throb of pain at the back of her head and side. Under the furs that covered her, Katelyn moved her hand to the source; feeling a bump. She groaned. Wounded again, she realised bitterly. Upon hearing her, Sammy looked up.

"Finally," he exclaimed with a beam. "Good to see your eyes again."

"Sammy?" Katelyn called, moving to sit up but wincing. Her side was making it impossible for her to move. Sammy dashed forward; his meal abandoned and kneeled at her side.

"Try not to move too much, your Grace," he warned her. "It will take time to heal, your side."

She fell back onto her pillow, soft and compact, and sighed. "What happened to me?"

"How much do you remember?"

Katelyn frowned, trying. "Bandits. Lots of bandits."

"Close enough," chuckled Sammy, crossing his legs and watching her. The heat of the fire spread over his back, a shiver of pleasure sailing through him. Katelyn looked at him over the ridge of fur, tucked in close to her chin. "Well, long story short, you collapsed. You've been out for two days."

Her eyes widened, shining in fear. "Tw-tw-two days?" she stammered. She wrestled upright. Pain rushed through her body in sharp bursts. She tried to ignore it, stifling a groan. Sammy leaned over her, holding her shoulder with one hand and nursing her pounding head with the other.

"Easy there," he hushed, feeling his stomach turn at the rush of tears that rolled down her face. She sucked in a breath, sharply, and let it go.

"My f-father..." she whimpered. "I'm running out of time."

Sammy smiled. "We've still got four days. And we're closer to the mountains than you may think," he assured her. "About a day and half, two days walk."

Katelyn looked up at him, breathing hoarsely and feeling hopeful in his smile and kind eyes. "How-"

"What? Did you actually think I would sit around, waiting for you to wake up?" he smirked, stroking the back of her head. "I only did what you would have done. I kept moving forward."

"What about me? You didn't drag me all this way, did you?" she accused playfully. Sammy beamed. "No, you silly. I carried you. I was actually quite surprised, you didn't weigh as much as I thought you would."

Katelyn's mouth dropped. "Excuse me?"

"I'm kidding!" he cheered, rolling his eyes. Sammy slowly removed his hand from her head, and then from her shoulder; testing her strength to stay upright. "Okay?"

Katelyn swayed, disorientated for a moment, before straightening and nodding. Sammy smiled and retreated to the other side of the fire to retrieve the water pouch. She looked round their camp, noticing a bow she had never seen before and a collection of bundles around the fire. Pulling the fur closer- she frowned down at it.

"Sammy?" she called.

Sammy, at once registering the accusing tone in her voice, turned slowly; still crouched by the bag. "Yes?" he replied, innocently.

"Where did all this come from?" she asked, slowly; her eyes moving over the bow and bag and food, before resting on his face. Nervously, he cleared his throat; his hand closing around the pouch. He stood up slowly, avoiding her gaze as he walked back to her.