StarLit / Chapter 20

StarLit Chapter 20 / Epilogue

I waited at the train station a little anxiously. Probably more than half a year had passed since I last saw Tatsuma in person. Of course, we talked on the phone and skyped  every once in a while. But other than that we had this long distance thing going on. It wasn't entirely bad. I got to see him, in person, only once and that was at Christmas. I took the train back to Ayase's to celebrate with everyone. Unfortunately, my train was delayed thanks to the snow storm so I only got to spend a few hours at her place. Most of my time was spent with Tatsuma. 

So here I waited, at the train station in Tokyo, waiting for Tatsuma. When I graduated high school Ayase, and my parents, expected me to go to university or get some kind of schooling, but I didn't go at all. I didn't even consider it. First, I couldn't get in with my grades the way they were and with all my test scores as bad as they were. There was one university I could have gone to, but I didn't really feel like getting stuck at an all boys school again so I didn't go. Since then I've been working at a cafe down the street from my apartment. 

Its a small little place that sells all kinds of things. From sandwiches to coffee it's more of a place to sit down and relax. The woman who owns the cafe usually leaves me in the shop alone all the time, seeing as there aren't any customers during the day. We usually get busy in the early morning, near lunch, and in the evening. She's a nice woman about Ayase's age. Her name is Naomi. Other than her and I there are two other employees. A boy about Tatsuma's age named Shouta. He's easy to get along with but he's bad at his job. I can't tell you how many times he's spilled something on a customer and how many refunds we've had to give back because of it. The other employee is a young girl, about a year younger than Shouta, named Hitomi. She is really skilled with her job and gets everything done in record time. It always goes smoothly when Hitomi is working as opposed to Shouta who seems to screw up at least five times when he's working. But Naomi won't fire him, he's her boyfriend's son. 

I often wondered what Tatsuma was up to. Whenever we talked it was usually about things in the past or how we were doing in the present. He never tells me what his plans are for the future or how things are going at school. That subject always seems to get swept under the rug. Sometimes I wondered if that was a good thing or a bad thing, but I honestly don't want to touch it if it's touchy. Other than the school thing, I'd at least like for him to tell me what he wants to do in the future. More than likely I'll stay at the cafe, but I had no idea about him. 

The train finally arrived at the station and my heart leaped to attention. Today was the day. The day Tatsuma graduated high school and was going to be living in my apartment, attending university in Tokyo. Once the train stopped I waited over by the stairs waiting for all the people to pass by and kept an eye out for him. Within a few minutes, I felt a tug on my sweatshirt and looked over to see Tatsuma. He looked different. I stared at him from head to toe with a cocked brow. "You're taller" 

He grinned at me. "I am. Now I'm almost as tall as you!" 

"Yeah. And you grew your hair out too" His hair was almost to his shoulders. It looked good on him. 

"And you look stronger" He pointed at my biceps. 

I nodded. "Yeah, I carry in all the boxes from the truck at the shop" Seeing as most of our employees are women and the only guy drops everything. "Wanna meet everyone?" 

My relationship with Tatsuma wasn't a secret at work. Or, at least, it was a secret until Naomi discovered it by chance after seeing a text I sent. I guess I could have easily pulled it off by telling her something that made sense, but she seemed like such a fangirl who wouldn't care so I let her in on the little secret. Eventually, Hitomi found out too and Shouta after he walked in on them talking about it. Needless to say, they poke fun at me all the time.