[ᴘᴀʀɪᴇʟ] Part Of Your World

He was flying through the sky like a green kite, yelling great huffs about being back from a trip and all.

He's back, she thought. I wonder what adventures has he gone off to again.

Surely it's been a little bit over two months since she last saw Peter Pan. He almost never went far from Neverland for that long, so she's missed him quite a lot— even if he'd always tease her around. He always knew exactly how to make her laugh, and the sight of him alone flying could set her heart flying, racing out of the waters, as well.

"Peter!" She called him over as she climbed on a large rock sticking out from the water. "Where have you been?"

He quickly spotted her fiery red hair above the sea and swooped down below to meet his friend.

"Hey, Ariel!" Peter greeted her with a cheeky smile. "Long time no see, eh?"

"You've been gone for so long," she said. "Wherever did you go?"

Peter folded his legs— doing an indian sit hovering over the sea. He had a wistful look on his face, as if more than adventures had happened to him while he was gone. Ariel was worried about the look on his face, however. It seemed like one of the things she feared the most to happen between her and Peter was about to come true.

"I was in London," he sighed— his eyes dreamily staring off to the clouds. "I met this girl named Wendy, and—"

"Wait, you met a human?" the little mermaid's eyes nearly fell off her face. "Isn't... Isn't that forbidden?"

"Nah, it's fine... She's fine," he waved his hand off. "She was really amazing, though."

"Really?" Her eyes looked down, and she bit her lip.

This is it, she thought. This is exactly what I've been scared of my entire life.

Noticing the awkward silence between them, Peter reached out for something in his pocket— a tiny metal cup with circular indents all over. He tossed it to the girl, and she had a bizarrely confused look on her face.

"What is this?" Ariel asked, holding up the tiny thingamabob — speculating it under the broad sunlight.

"I believe it's called a thimble," Peter shrugged midair — his arms resting behind his head, as if he was lying on an invisible hammock. "You put it on your thumb. Wendy says it's to protect your thumb when you are sewing."

"What's sewing?" she asked again, and the boy laughed. 

This girl never runs out of questions, he thought to himself.

When the day seemed to begin to close, Peter finally took a seat beside Ariel on the rock, both listening to the calm rush of the waves and gazing at the sun as it melted towards the horizon. With all the adventures he has been going on lately, he missed the times when he would just sit down with his best friend and watch the days and leaves change. 

They were indeed different in a million ways. He had feet, and she had fins. He could fly, while all she was made for was to swim. He could go to hundreds of places, while the young princess had to stay where she belonged.

"I'm glad to see you again, Ariel," he spoke out, finally. "I missed your insufferable attitude and obsession over salvaging human debris."

"Likewise, I missed your scrawny elf clothing and your dolphin-esque laugh," she shot back with a soft giggle.

She knew that this was going to be the last day that she was staying here in Neverland. The years were over, and she had to go back to her home to become the real princess she's destined to be. She was turning sixteen in a few days, and she knew she had to grow up.

"I'm leaving tomorrow," she blurted out in one breath. 

"What? Why? But I just got here," Peter reasoned out. "Can't you stay with me for another day? Another week? A whole year?"

"You know I can't, Peter," she felt her tears brimming on her eyelids. "I'm a princess. I have a duty to become a good example to my people... And, I'm not— I'm not like you, Peter. One day soon I will grow up, even if you don't."

"Ariel, you're my best friend. I can't imagine it when you're gone."

"You can do it, Peter." There her tears went, "I'm just only your friend anyway."

She did not wait for a reply. 

Ariel immediately dove down to the sea— her tears now one with the saline ocean. For the past years of her life, she has constantly tried to become a part of Peter's world, but his world was too big for a little mermaid like her to be special enough to get noticed.

It's gonna be okay, Ariel, she reassured herself. 

One day, you'll meet someone who would treat you as his whole world, and not just a part of it.

the lowkey ships can still hurt you.

i have this headcanon that ariel's from neverland, and spent a few of her years there, since king triton wanted to keep her safe from the barbarians that killed her mother (omg little mermaid 3 spoiler). i know about the canon stuff about him being grumpy about the music and all, but this is my version of the story.

so, yeah. ariel lived in neverland, but i guess she's able to age there... maybe because she didn't originate from it? idk this has a lot of plot holes i cannot answer.

anywhale, yay hope you like this chapter