Chapter 19

My knowledge of labour is limited so some of what I have written about the 'process' is from the Internet.....

------------------------------------------------------

"I think my waters just broke." Tonks said, her voice quivering with fear and pain. Remus gasped.

"Are you sure?" he asked quickly.

"Well I didn't just piss a shit load of water now did I!?" Tonks snapped, doubled over in pain again.

"Sorry. Uh, lie down on the floor, I'll get your mum."

"No, please don't leave me here alone." Tonks cried as she sat in the floor.

"Well I can't Apparate with you, might not be safe." Remus sighed.

"Expecto Patronum." He said, and waited until the wolf had shot out of his wand before he spoke. "Come quick. Tonks is in Labour and I don't know what to do."

The wolf shot out of the window and out into the sky afternoon sky. Tonks cried out in pain as another contraction started. Remus kneeled beside her and took her hand.

"I'm sorry if I break your hand." Tonks panted.

"It's fine." Remus said. He sucked in a sharp breath when Tonks squeezed his hand tight.

Soon, there was a soft knock at the door. Remus jumped up an ran to it. Wrenching it open, he let Andromeda in. She was carrying a few towels and a pair of sharp scissors. She pushed past him and ran into the living room. When Remus came in, Tonks was being helped onto the sofa with a towel laid down underneath her. It seemed like she'd been told to take her trousers and pants off.

"She isn't in labour just yet. It's only when the contractions are longer, stronger and closer together, that's when." Andromeda said

"How long will that take?" Tonks asked

"For a first time pregnancy, about 6 - 12 hours I think. Possibly shorter but it all depends." Andromeda replied. "Since the contractions have just started, you can move around if you want but you must drink and eat a lot."

"I'm quite happy here thanks mum." Tonks said.

"No Nymphadora, you will walk around and move, it can help."

"Please don't call me Nymphadora." Tonks sighed.

"Even at the beginning of childbirth she still argues about her name." Remus chuckled. Tonks smiled before sighing.

"I'll get you some food." Andromeda said, standing up. Tonks smiled gratefully as she left.

"So this is it." Remus said.

"Yeah." Tonks sighed. ".....Remus?"

"Mh?"

"I'm scared." Tonks said quietly.

"You'll be just fine." Remus said sweetly before kissing her forehead. "I'll be right here the whole time."

Tonks kissed his lips gently before sitting back down.

"I might try and sleep. It may be midday but I'm so tired and my back is sore." Tonks groaned, shuffling around.

"Have a warm shower first. Might help." Remus suggested. Tonks nodded as her mum returned with a tray of various foods.

"Mum, is it alright if I go for a shower after I've had some food?" Tonks asked

"Yeah. It might help relax you and help the pain." Andromeda replied happily.

Tonks nodded before eating a sandwich and drinking some juice. She stood up, with the help of Remus, she made her way up for a shower. There was one sharp pain in the shower, but that was it.....for now.

*.*.*.*.*.*Many Hours Later.*.*.*.*.*.*

Tonks's hair was snow white, beads of sweat rolling down her face, and she was in pain, a lot of pain. Remus was in some pain as well. He was holding her hands for support, but she was crushing them extremely tight. Remus couldn't really feel then anymore because she'd squeezed them numb.

"Come on, you're almost there, almost there." Andromeda said happily, checking to see how far the baby is.

"I-I can't. I can't." Tonks cried, tears rolling down her cheeks. Remus squeeze her hands reassuringly.

"You can Tonks. You've done brilliantly so far, just a little but more and it'll all be over." Remus said reassuringly.

Tonks groaned loudly as another painful contraction started.

"Come on sweetheart, push." Andromeda said over Tonks's cries. "That's it, hard as you can. You're almost there."

Tonks was crying full on now, sweat dampening her pure white hair.

"Remus, go fill up your bath with warm water. Only a few inches mind." Andromeda instructed as Tonks cried aloud.

Remus didn't want to leave, but he did anyway. He shook his hands and wriggled his fingers to get the circulation going again. Once inside the bathroom, he ran the hot tap until it was a comfortable warm. He put the plug in and occasionally used the cold tap to level the temperature out. It took longer than expected as the hot tap was too hot sometimes. But soon it was fine, and he headed back downstairs.

Halfway down the stairs, he heard a baby crying. A smile spread across his face as he continued to descend. Entering the room, he saw Tonks smiling and panting with relief and Andromeda hold a slightly bloody baby in her arms. The baby wasn't crying anymore, but sleeping soundly.

"It's a boy." Andromeda said happily.

Remus smiled happily. He walked up to Tonks and kissed her forehead lovingly.

"I'm so, so, so proud of you." He whispered.

"Thank you....I'm just glad....it's finally over." Tonks panted.

"Would you like to cut the cord?" Andromeda asked. Remus looked up to see her holding the pair of scissors out to him.

"Cut here." She said, pointing further down the cord. He took the scissors and cut where instructed. Putting the scissors down, he then held his son, his newborn son.

"You should wash him. Use this to dry him, it's soft and warm." Andromeda said softly. "I'll sort things down here."

Remus nodded before talking his son upstairs. Remus could hardly take his eyes off him. He was so small, fragile and innocent with his tufts of brown hair.

Kneeling down slowly, Remus lowered the baby into the nice warm water. The baby squirmed a bit, but settled happily in the water once his body was fully under. Remus carefully cleaned all the blood and icky stuff off of him. The baby seemed to be enjoying it, smiling and gurgling slightly. Once clean, Remus wrapped him in the fluffy and warm towel before taking him downstairs to see his mum.

"Can I hold him?" Tonks asked when she saw Remus enter.

Remus smiled before handing him to her. Tonks smiled wearily at the sight of him.

"He's so small. And adorable." She breathed.

"So, what's his official name?" Andromeda asked quietly as not to awaken the sleeping baby.

"Edward." Tonks replied. "For dad."

Andromeda smiled sadly, a single year glistened in her kind and aged eyes.

"Edward Remus Lupin." Tonks said, looking up at Remus, her hair turning back to pink, but with white highlights. Remus kissed his wife's lips before gently kissing his son's head. They were finally a family, a proper, mismatched family. And it couldn't have been a more perfect moment......

----------------------------------------------------------

Sorry, I know I said the battle would be this chapter but I wanted to just focus this chapter on Teddy's birth. But it will definitely be the next chapter. Sorry and I hope you have enjoyed /parts cos I know some of it is crap/ this story and I've had fun writing it :)