Chapter 1

"Momma! Where is the last box for my room?!" I call down.

"It's down here by the door!" She yells in reply. I walk downstairs and grab the box from by the door before calling a thank you to my mother. Retreating to my new room I close the door with my foot. I rummage through the box until I find what I'm looking for. It's a picture of me with my friends from Canada. I sadly place it on my bedside table. With a huff I walk to the window.

The view overlooks the ocean. Waves crash into rocks and gently works its way down the sand for low tide. I open a sliding glass door to my right and walk onto my personal balcony. I put my elbow on the railing and rest my head on my hand. I admire the beauty of the blue ocean and the white sand beach near my new home.

I only moved to Japan a few days ago and we're just finishing up the unpacking. It's a lot of work, but I'll survive. Thank god it's the weekend. I start school on Monday. The education here is more advanced, so I need to redo my year and catch up with everyone else my age. Great...

Staring at the ocean, I feel the familiar longing of swimming in the beautiful water. The surface barely rippling as the rays of the sun make it shine and sparkle in the evening. I wonder what it would be like to dive under the surface and just stay there forever...

"Mariana! Dinner is ready!" My momma's voice pulls me from my thoughts. I take one more look at the ocean as the sun starts to set. I sigh and head downstairs for dinner.

"Hi papa," I greet my father. He smiles a loving smile, his eyes crinkling at the corners.

"Hi Mariana. How has my little seashell been today eh?" He asks happily. I just smile and explain how tired I've been all day. He laughs whole heartedly, but I don't mind. My mother walks in with a plate of food and sets it in front of my father before going back into the kitchen. I walk over to my place at the other end of the table as she returns with two more plates. Setting one down in front of me, she sits at her own spot. We all eat happily, at least, until mom clears her throat.

"Mariana, school starts tomorrow and I just want to double check that, no matter what, there won't be a repeat of last year?" She almost questions. I sigh sadly and nod my head. She nods happily and takes our empty plates to the kitchen. Without a word I head back up the stairs to my room.

Pulling out my little piccolo, I start to play.

I know how to play three instruments. The piccolo, the flute, and the harp. I learned flute first, which lead me to the piccolo, and then I decided to learn how to play the harp. Grabbing my music and a stand for it, I go out onto the balcony. The sky is streaked with orange, red, and pink as the sky sets.

Setting up my music, a slight breeze blows through my turquoise hair and rustles my white dress. Looking at my music sheets, I play an old, soft lullaby about the midnight waters until the sun is gone and the stars are shining.

Taking my things back inside, I get myself ready for bed. My hair is put up, and I change into a tank top and pajama pants. Making sure all my stuff is ready and my piccolo and music is away properly, I snuggle into the comfort of my bed and thick duvet. My vision fades to black.

~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=

To let you know, I'm gonna use characters from Shugo Chara, but I'm going to use them how I would like to. So if the characters that never met before are around, it's for a reason.

Word count: 638 words