Chapter 5

Today is the day. I start my life as a Guardian. I step out of the car and onto the sidewalk. The only downside to being a Guardian is the morning meetings. Yesterday before I left, they told me not to put my egg in anything. I ended up hiding it in my pocket in the car.

"Goodbye Momma! I'll see you later!" I call. The car drives away and I walk onto the school grounds. I wonder why they told me not to put my egg in anything? I guess I'll find out.

I walk into the Royal Gardens. Unfortunately I'm a bit late. Playing through the night had it's effects on me. I slow down as my mind wanders. Who is my mystery violinist? Do they have any idea who I am?

"You're late," says a familiar voice. I snap out of my thoughts and blush lightly to the ground. I can almost hear a smile on his face as he speaks. "Come on, we have something for you." I nod and follow him into the gazebo.

"Ta-da!" Yells Yaya. Amu stands there holding a folded red plaid cape and matching bag. I gasp.

"The bag is for your egg. I have one just like it," Amu says turning. Right there, resting against her hip, is a bag just like it. She lifts the top and four eggs are sitting snugly inside. All of them are plaid, but different colors. Red, blue, green, and Dia's yellow egg. I can't believe it. They're so kind.

"I-I don't know what to say." I look up at them, tears threatening to appear. Tadase and Amu are smiling happily.

"You say thank you silly!" Exclaims Yaya. I try to laugh, but it comes out choked. Rima takes everything from Amu. She helps me clip the bag around my hip and hide it under my shirt. She lifts the cape and shakes it out. Before she can do anything, a hand is put on her shoulder, stopping her.

We both look over to see the owner of said hand being Kairi. I suck in a breathe in surprise. They look at each other for a moment before she nods. Handing him the cape, she backs up. He turns to me and smiles softly. The softness reaches his blue eyes.

Stepping forward he reaches over my head and pulls the small cape up around my shoulders. A blush makes it's way on my face as he carefully secures the cape. His hands linger momentarily by my shoulders as his blue eyes look into my aqua green ones.

He steps back with a smile and I blink. Tadase walks up to me. He smiles kindly at me.

"You and I aren't so different you know. I'm not one to enjoy talking to a crowd, but it's my job as Kings chair. I normally character change with Kiseki, but sometimes, I manage to do it on my own," he says softly. My eyes water and I put a hand over my mouth, trying no to cry. He takes a step back.

"Welcome, Condor Mariana, to the guardians. Our Lady-in-waiting," he announces. Yaya runs up to me. Her and Pepe envelope me in a big hug, followed by Amu, Ran, Mikki, Sue, and KusuKusu. I hug them all back tightly and a choked thank you comes out of my mouth. They all back up and look at me in concern.

"Why are you crying?" Kairi exclaims in concern, slightly flustered.

"Don't cry Mari-chan!" Cries Yaya. I laugh a little at the nickname and wipe a few tears off my face.

"I'm sorry it's just... You have all been so nice to me in the short time since I've met you," I explain through tears. "No one has done something so nice to me since my family first moved from within Canada," I whisper. My voice is hoarse and comes out a little choked. I can see the sympathy in all their eyes as my words start to sink in. Tears brim in some of the charas eyes.

"Mari-chan!" Cries Ran. She floats over and hugs me again. Su follows suit, then Mikki, Pepe, Yaya, and Amu. Even Rima gives in and joins the hug. I see Yaya and Amu's arms reach out. They pull the boys over. Amu pulling Tadase, and Yaya pulling Kairi. They both look uncomfortable at first. Tadase soon gives in and smiles at me from his awkward, squished position. Kairi has a bit of an awkward face and is squished between me and Yaya. I lean my head against his shoulder as a few tears escape my eyes. I smile through the whole thing though. Not one tear was shed out of sorrow.