Chapter 2

BEEP. BEEP. BEEP. BEEP. BEEP. BEEP.

I slam my hand down on the snooze button. I was having such a good dream before it went off. I sadly get up and start to get ready for school. I guess I have to make new friends.... Or not.

I make it onto the bus and find an empty seat. It doesn't take long to get there and I'm standing in front of my new school in no time. The bell rings and next thing I know, I'm lost in the humongous school. A man walks up to me. He has orange hair in a low pony. Whatever's not in the pony sticks up all over the place. His glasses are big thin framed ones and he's wearing a beige suit.

"Hello there! Are you lost?" He asks me. He must be a professor or some sort of teacher. I can tell he has a rather easy going personality just by looking at him. I nod and he smiles, trying to hold his pile of papers in one hand and putting his other one out towards me. I look at it tentatively.

"You must be the new student from Canada. I'm a teacher here." Still not shaking his hand, he gives a light laugh. "Shaking hands is something you do in Canada right?" He jokes. I smile shyly and shake his hand politely. He nods and supports his papers with both hands.

"Now, if you would follow me," he instructs. I nod and start to follow. About halfway down the hall he calls back to me, "I am Nikaidou Yuu, by the way."

"I'm Mariana Condor," I say politely and quietly. He looks at me in confusion before realization dawns on him.

"I'll have to remember that other cultures represent their first name... well, first. Wait a second. Mariana? As in Mariana's trench?" He questions curiously.

"Yes actually. My father was sailing over it when I was born on the ship," I inform him quietly. He smiles and I smile back shyly. He stops at a door momentarily before walking inside. At least, tries to. He ends up tripping on who knows what and papers are scattered all over. The students in the room laugh and he laughs along with them. When he starts picking up papers, I automatically reach down to help. I hear murmuring among the students as I scoop up the last paper and hand them to Professor Nikaidou.

"Here you go Professor," I say quietly. He looks surprised for a moment before smiling again.

"Arigato Condor gakusei, and in Japan, it's Nikaidou-sensai," he informs me. I feel a blush on my cheeks as I nod my head and stare at my feet. He turns to face the students and I follow suit, my head still down. Everyone quiets themselves.

"Students, this is your new classmate, Condor, Mariana. She comes from Canada," he states happily. I look up at everyone and hear a gasp or two and a few boys in the class have wide eyes. I look around the room before muttering a greeting.

At that moment, a woman with brown shoulder length hair and a grey suit jacket with matching skirt walks in.

"You must be the new student, Condor Mariana," she says nicely. I nod politely. I've never been the most outgoing person, but I have my moments. She smiles nicely and turns to the class.

"Good morning class."

"Good morning Tengaki-sensai," the class says in unison. She smiles and tucks a strand of hair behind her ear. Looking to me she pulls down a map.

"Condor gakusei, would you like to show us where Canada is?" She asks nicely. All eyes turn to me and I nod, my cheeks heating up. I walk over to the map and she steps back. I tentatively reach my hand up and point to a little island on the far left.

"I come from right here, and this," I gesture from the border of America and Canada all the way up near the arctic regions, "is Canada."

I turn back to the class, their eyes filled with curiosity and questions. Luckily miss- I mean... Tengaki-sensai, notices my discomfort. She walks back over and smiles at the class.