DANIEL

I let go. 
The window shatters, and I'm suddenly out in the night again and falling, falling like a star to the first floor.I rip open my long-sleeved shirt and let it billow out behind me. Everything blurs...
And then I see him.

"Daniel?"
My eyes flutter open, for some reason, I am out of breath. Eden stands over me, with a weird look on his face. "You okay?" he ask, his tone slightly amused.
I prop up to a seating position,"Why d'you ask?"
"Well...um," I can see him suppress an urge to laugh,"you were mumbling something, over and over. Something like...I think it's a name-'Metias'?" 
Metias. Who the hell is Metias? "Are you sure? I don't know no goddy Metias."
"I might be blind, big brother, but my ears are working just fine." Eden turns to the table and picks up a stack of papers. He flicks through them, squinting furiously and pressing those useless glasses hard against the bridge of his nose. For his interview, I hadn't seen him for the past week without them. I walk over and put my hand on his shoulder, "Hey," I say, my voice growing serious,"don't freak. You're gonna do fine on this." He returns me a crooked smile,"You always say that."

***

The question about this unknown Metias hangs in my mind for hours, and then I remember my dream, I can hardly remember the details now,  mostly just a blurred, flash of colours. I walk recklessly, through the streets I've travelled so many times before, I could navigate them blindfolded. June's image floats up to me every now and then, after all, it could be linked. I've tried, for so many years, to remember; to remember two years of my life; to remember what happened before I woke up in that hospital ward. It's like wandering in an endless labyrinth, the more I try, the more lost I am. The answers are in my face, but when I try to grab on to them, they always slip out of my reach. 
I climb easily onto a broken down, two story building, one of the only ones left in this area. Looking at the tape though, it's only got a few days left.
I remember when Tess and I used to sit here, watching the sun dip into the waves,
I remember when we skewered hot dogs from unattended stalls,
I remember a time when this all didn't matter,
I remember...

Using the jagged bricks as footholds, I step back to ground level. No point sitting up there, waiting to be bulldozed along with the place. A crowd has gathered not far ahead of me, a skiz fight, I haven't  seen one in a long time. I make my way cautiously closer(gamblers like to throw random people in when they run out of contestants), when someone runs into me. "Watch your step cousin." I mutter to her, without taking my eyes off the fight, where two menacing looking street thugs starts circling each other. Their stances are off, I notice, with a weakness like that, I could take them out single-handedly if I wanted. Then the girl I bumped into before says something that makes me turn around,

"Day?"