DANIEL

I MUST BE DREAMING AGAIN.
Even with a  long white coat(reading LA central hospital), and her reddish brown hair piled in a messy bun, she's still there. The girl from my childhood, my first real friend and companion.
Tess.
The silence between us is fragile, but we keep its balance. As not daring to shatter it, afraid that this moment will disappear as well. Wake up!  I tell myself, let this goddy pathetic dream disappear- like it always does. Not that I like it, because nothing's worse than seeing her, sweet, dimpled smiles that makes her eyes twinkle, gone, again, dissolved into my hallucinations, forever.

"Day?" she asks again, uncertainty creeping at her warm, hazel eyes. Then she reaches out and taps the tips of my fingers. A sudden tingle of warmth jerks me into the feeling of consciousness,
I hold a shaking hand to touch her face and hear myself gasp. This is real.
Then she is in my arms, filling my nostrils with her scent, she is still the little girl I found on the streets, Tess, my Tess. "Damn, you've grown up cousin." I manage to choke out a whisper, and she buries her head into my shoulder, the way she always did when what seems a lifetime ago. Maybe I'm not that lost anymore-at least part of me.
"You've changed too." she says as we break apart, eyeing my short, unruly hair. 
 I don't tell her that I'm not Day anymore, I'm Daniel, and long hair was a thing of the past. Instead, I just shrug, waving her off the subject. A soft midsummer breeze creeps past, carrying the cheers and boos from the gamblers. The crowd starts to part, leaving Lake sector is quiet and deserted as before.

"Come on," Tess urges me, "there are people I'd like you to meet"
"Who?" 
Tess blinks, and a mysterious look appears on her face, "Why, the Patriots of course."