June

MY HANDS ARE SHAKING, 

and it's not because I was wearing threadbare clothes in the middle of the night. My mind is racing, I had pledged myself to the patriots. Again. 

"So," Pascao starts again, before Tess stomps on his foot and leads us into the shelter of the broken down building. 
"Welcome back to the patriots June." Tess announces, there are murmurs between a few of the group, no doubt gossiping about my last encounter with the patriots. "You're joining our fighters. Trish, David and the others." she indicates a fox-faced girl and a burly boy with a head of thick copper curls.
I nod, but it feels like a stiff tilt, 'I'm only spying on them' I think, but even I can't tell if I'm sure anymore.
"And now," Pascao steps forward, still rubbing the foot Tess had dug her heels into, "the plan."
My breathing quickens, and he must have seen the look in my face so he then added,"It's nowhere as stupid as the last one. I- me and Tess, we're not going to be Razor, we're not the downfall of the Rupublic, we're reuniting it with the Colonies. Our country might have changed in the past few years, but we're making it better." he looks at me, eyes gleaming in determination. "We're bringing back the United States, for a better America."
"But where will you build the headquarters?" I ask when I finally found my voice, "You're not in deep pockets anymore. You're not behind the Republic's high classes." 
Pascao stuff his hands into his pockets, "That," he grins, in his usual, mischievous self, "Is why we need your help."

***

Anden appears in my dream, "I thought I trusted  you, June." he says, I can see the hurt in his eyes as he turns away, a mark he will never forgive. 'No!' I call after him, 'I'm not letting them hurt you." 
Then his figure turn into Day, his white blond strands falling into his beautiful, blazing eyes, "We're in this together, right?"  his voice rings, over and over again, like a recording on repeat. I want to shut it off, but also to cling on this memory. My eyes burn with tears, I can't breathe, I can't even see through my blurring vision...

I wake up in cold sweat, I wipe my wet cheeks and tuck my legs up to my chest. I feel like the seventeen year old girl again, stranded between Day and the young elector.