Chapter 13

If you just appreciate the not-so perfect things, then little by little you will be able to behold the beauty inside of it.

The ticking of the clock drove him crazy. They were rioting— different choices of pets including puppies, fishes, etc.

“Eto na lang isda para memorable tsaka para marelax yung mata niya kahit.. magbreak kayo. Kahit nasasaktan siya, hindi niya magagawang itapon ‘to. Tingnan mo oh. Ang sayang panuorin,” said Baste, pointing the aquarium. He’s right. Maganda yung tatlong isda roon. But fishes have a very short life span. Hindi magtatagal, iiwanan din nila si Eloiza.

Still undecided. Like choosing the Strand for Senior High School.

“Lee! Eto. Maganda ‘tong tuta na ‘to. Look,” Rem shouted inside. “Di ‘ba? Yan na lang!” she suggested.

It was a very simple and cute puppy. Pero nung nakita niya yung bagay na nakakwintas sa leeg nito, napagdesisyunan niya na iyon na lang ang bilhin. Very unique! Sa itaas ng kahoy na ballpen na nakakwintas ay ang kulay pulang puso.

“Magkano po yung ganito?” he asked the seller.

“Hay nako. Tatanga tanga ka Lee. Ayan oh. Nakakapit na ang price. Ayan. 5,000 pesos.”

Baste laughed. Tama nga naman. Napakalaki na ng pagkakasulat pero hindi iyon napansin ni Lee. Napakamot siya ng ulo. Isang sakong bigas at pang-ulam na para sa ilang araw ang mabibili ng halagang iyon. Pero ayos lang sa kanyang gumastos para kay Eloiza. Kahit gaano kalaki o kamahal, basta para sa kanya.

“Bilisan niyo na!!” Baste was irritated. Dahil siguro sa napakatagal na oras na ginugol namin dito. He should have been spending his time writing fucking Articles. His eyes darkened. “Ang baho rito,” he complained as he poked Lee and Rem.

That broke Lee’s smile. “Tangina. Ang arte mo naman pare. Para kang bakla. Baka nakakalimutan mo, may atraso ka pa sa akin ha?” He was talking about the movie na inakala at napagkamalang porn. “Just kidding. . .” he chuckled. “Nakakahiya kasi. Pakinig ka ata ni Kuya.”

He’s now an emoticon laughing. Tumatawa kahit sinong madaanan, at lumuluslos ang bituka sa kasiyahan. Simple things kill him sometimes. Simple things are sometimes the best source of his happiness, on the other hand. He’s like a bipolar person that changes his emotions very often. But he kept that happiness as the twilight began.

“Riva?”

“Didn’t you go—”

“The hell! Anoh ‘yan?!”

She came at his boardinghouse last night just to learn Filipino Language but does she still need him anyway? Not anymore.

“You know, I hate pets! Ayoko silah!” she complained. Who cares? It’s for Eloiza and not for her.

Lee even smiled wider. “It’s for my one—”

“And only? Haha” she laughed. “Gasgas!”

Dammit. Gasgas? One and only really means a lot for lovers. And fuck her instructor. Pati ba naman yung unnecessary words ‘gasgas’ eh tinuturo?

“Ako ‘yun di bah? Your one and only?”

Shut. The. Fuck. Up.

Lee trembled in shock. She moved closer, taking everything for granted. Another stolen kiss? Another desperate hug? He shrugged off. He didn’t want to offend somebody. Not now.. that he’s in a good mood.

Disappointment was on Riva’s face. She must accept the reality that Lee was never and will never be her property. If she wants a boyfriend then she can rent one. She has a lot of money to buy a lover. Holy Shit. Love could never be bought by the way.

“By the way, n-nag.. ll-lut.. to—”
Her tongue was ribboned, unable to utter the words she learned. Difficulty in speaking Filipino Language made her disgusted.

“You can talk to me naturally. Don’t be pressured okay? Take it easy.”

“I cooked something. . . for you. Tinola.” She was shaking. She can’t look at his eyes directly because she was disappointed with herself. Lee noticed her expression so he came closer and held Riva’s shoulder.

“I believe in yourself. You can do it, very soon, okay. By the way, thank you for cooking my favorite.” Lumiit ang mga mata niya habang ngumingiti at lumabas naman ang mapuputi niyang ngipin.

Minsan lang lutuin ng ibang tao yung favorite food niya. Simula kasi nung umalis siya sa bukid, hindi na siya napapadalahan ng Mama niya ng Tinola. And since Eloiza was a great stalker of him, nalaman niya kung ano yung gusto niya. After school, dumidiretso kaagad siya sa boardinghouse para magluto tapos sabay silang kakain. Hanggang sa naging It’s Complicated na nga yung status nila, at hindi niya inakalang ibang tao pa ang makapagluluto ulit nito... para sa kanya.

Her effort was greatly appreciated by Lee. Although the taste wasn’t that perfect because of too much salt added, he still ate too much. That’s the good matter. If you appreciate the not-so perfect things, then little by little, you will be able to behold the beauty inside of it.

Wala siyang time para tumunganga. How could he give that puppy to Eloiza surprisingly? Kung babalutan niya ng wrapper, hindi iyon makakahinga. Kapag naman binitbit niya yung kulungan, obvious na.

He was thinking and Riva was just staring at him steadily, avoiding the puppy. “K-haninho b-ha ‘y-han tttalaguh?”

“You’re getting better.”

Riva’s curiosity was faded. She began laughing in a quiet way, nalimutan na yung tinatanong niya. Sino ba namang hindi madi-distract kung purihin di ‘ba? But the answer in her question was hurting— too much.

“This for the most beautiful thing that ever happened to me,” he suddenly mouthed the answer.

Shocked.

Frozen.

Stiffed.

“Ppppu.. Tanginah!” she cursed abrubtly.

“Why?” That was the first time Lee told her that he has a girlfriend. Hugs and kisses? He doesn’t care too much because Riva was a daughter of America. You know America very well.

It was Riva’s fake smile that forced Lee to not think too much. Nakagawian niya na iyon sa tuwing nasasaktan o meron siyang kinaayawan na isang bagay.

“Just tried to curse using Filipino Language. Was it funny then?” She’s really out of her mind. Hindi kasingsakit ng Ingles na salita ang malutong na mura sa Filipino.

He was about to utter another word until a brilliant idea entered his mind. Iiwan niya muna yung tuta sa Link In Café tapos saka niya yun ibibigay kinabukasan kapag nagpunta sila dun. Hindi na niya napansin si Riva. He was laughing too hard and he heard another curse from Riva.

“Tttang.. Inah.. Tttalla.. guh” Napakahina ng pagkakasabi ni Riva ng mga salitang iyon pero tumataos iyon sa kaibuturan niya.