16. IFID

At some point during our flight to the IFID compound, Falcon picked up Cap while Wanda and I stand at the rear of the compound. We tensely wait for our cue to come in. We both listen as Sam flies over the courtyard and drops Cap into it where he immediately becomes engrossed in a fight. As he lands, he uses his shield to bash one of the hostiles into a car window, which knocks him out as seen by him limply falling to the ground. Another man, who's standing by, sees this and begins to fire at Steve as he quickly makes his way over to the car. Rogers uses his shield to deflect the bullets and then kick the front right corner of the car, which causes the vehicle to slam into the armored man and send him flying backward from the impact. Then Cap throws his shield at one other man who's loading his weapon and knocks him down.

On another truck is a man who's kneeling for some reason, a reason unknown to us, before he hurriedly stands up

On another truck is a man who's kneeling for some reason, a reason unknown to us, before he hurriedly stands up. As Steve's shield comes back to him, he heads towards the man. The Cap uses his shield for protection against any bullets the man fires at him as he hops up onto the hood of the truck. Steve then jumps and kicks the man square in the chest with both feet before falling onto his back on top of the truck's cab. The man he kicked flies across the courtyard and into the building harshly before falling to the ground. By himself, Steve's already taken down four men.

"Honestly, why did they even bring us here if they're gonna do all the work?" I joke. It causes Wanda to smile as she watches intently.

"Body armor. AR-15's. I make seven hostiles." Cap updates us. Above us, we see Falcon dive onto an overhanging roof and hear the firing of weapons. I'm tempted to stand and help despite not having our cue. Wanda's hand on my shoulder stops me in my tracks.

Maybe Pietro's impatience is rubbing off on me now.

"I make five." Sam says and both Wanda and I look at each other. That's our signal. I watch as Wanda lifts into the air as I sprint from where we'd hidden behind some dense shrubbery. Wanda flies over Falcon's head and lands in the courtyard in front of me as I run under the overhang. I put up a quick shield in front of Wanda so she can focus on her own abilities as an armored man makes himself known after walking from behind another vehicle. He fires at her with no success. The bullets ricochet off the barrier as Wanda uses her abilities to compress the man, which causes him to let out a shout. Meanwhile, I continue to keep my shield up around her as I briskly walk up behind her.

"Sam." Wanda says as she flings the man into the air. Sam dives from the overhang and hits the man in the throat with one of his wings as he flies by before landing by the vehicle the man had come from.

"Four." Sam says as he lands, his wings folding back into the pack as he walks forward. I give Wanda a high-five before we hear Cap hop off the car's roof he was settled on. Wanda and I stand side-by-side as Steve makes his way over to us. Above us, I can hear the distinct hum of Redwing.