37. Breakout

My strangled grunts are nearly silenced by the strong arm that holds me around the throat. Nobody is following us. In fact, there's nobody. Nobody in front of us, nobody in the halls I'm being dragged down, nobody. I'm completely at the mercy of a man with a metal arm and a goal to destroy those in his way. My odds aren't exactly the best, to be frank. I assume Sam went after the dusty brown-haired man who's probably the reason why all this crap's going down. Not a bad idea, though I really wish either he or Steve were here. I'm not one for being a damsel in distress, but...I'm a damsel in some serious distress and I have a bad temper. "Barnes, snap out of it! You aren't you, come back, it's Iris!" I hoarsely manage to utter. My pleas fall on deaf ears. All I get is a sharp tug around my throat, silencing me.

Wow, the Winter Soldier is rude as heck.

I get dragged around a final corner and through a pair of double doors. This leads us into a cafeteria-like area. There's a swarm of guards here and no short amount of natural light. If only I could access it and use it to my advantage -- oh, but that's right Tony made some stupid piece of technology that suppresses my abilities so I can't end this right now. Wow! How convenient is that?

Screaming and shouting erupt from both guards giving commands and civilians trying to escape. Most of the guards are holding non-lethal weapons. They must be hoping to apprehend Barnes without killing him. That or they realize he's got a hostage: me. Even though I may be a 'criminal' they can't exactly kill me if they want me prosecuted. That's when the Soldier releases me and I let out a pathetic gasp before falling to my knees. He storms forward and begins to dispatch the guards sent to take him down. My vision blurs in and out as my lungs scream at me while attempting to take in air normally. Despite this, I can make out a familiar face hiding behind a pillar to my right.

Tony.

He holds up a finger to his mouth and I nod in acknowledgment. I am so going to kick him into the sun when this is over. My face turns to the tile floor as I try and regain normal oxygen levels to my body. As I begin to regulate my respiratory rate, I watch as Stark drops to a crouch with his back pressed up against the pillar. He taps the face of his watch and it quickly shifts to one of his Iron Man gloves. I still remember him creating and tinkering with it at the compound.

He quickly turns from around the pillar and aims it at Barnes. Instead of a repulsor blast, a loud ringing sound wave emits from it. It disorientates Barnes, who's in the process of taking down a soldier, while it causes an annoying ringing to erupt in my ears. I clench and unclench my jaw before noticing that The Winter Soldier's attention is on Tony as he stalks towards the billionaire.

Tony, why are you like this?

In Barnes' right hand is a handgun he must have acquired from a guard he took down. Tony lifts his hand again and a bright flash of light overtakes the spacious room. This one even disorientates me. I can hear the beginnings of Tony and Barnes fighting, but due to the bright flash of light, I can't really see it. I must look rather idiotic right now -- blinking furiously at nothing in particular. However, my vision comes back just in time to see the Soldier aim the handgun at Tony, who puts his gloved hand over the end of it just as Barnes pulls the trigger. A resounding gunshot fills the air. Tony has a frightened look on his face but pulls the top half of the firearm off with his gloved hand. He then proceeds to strike Barnes across the face with it. In retaliation, the Soldier brings his elbow up before jamming it directly into Stark's face. Next, Barnes punches Stark in the stomach while sends him crashing into tables and chairs before falling to the ground. I get up shakily and move to his side as Sharon comes onto the scene.

"Tony Stark, you absolute crumbly walnut." I ground out with a mix of fury and concern.

"Hey, Sparky." Tony hoarsely forces out.