3.

[Please vote and comment]  

*Samantha's POV*

Harry was keen to meet me as soon as possible, so we agreed to meet in two hours' time, giving me just enough time to prepare some questions for the two. But as I sat, a blank notebook before me and my pen poised to write, I realised that perhaps I should have given myself more time. I had sat in on interviews before, I knew how they worked, surrounded by two way mirrors, making sure the meeting was recorded and on records if it was ever needed for evidence. But this would be my first time leading the interview, asking the questions and conducting the whole thing alone.

"You're out of your depth 'ere blondie" Alex's voice rattled around in my head, mocking words from a previous case where we had been thrust into partnership. I shook my head and grumbled. No, I could do this.

"Come on Samantha think" I mumbled. It took several more minutes, but soon questions were flowing from the tip of my pen as if it had a mind of its own. One after the other they were scrawled before me, each question on a new page so I had room to write down Daniella's response. Before long, I had almost half the notebook filled with questions for both Daniella and Harry and I was heading towards the lift following my agreement to meet them both in the lobby. I three doors away from the elevator before I was stopped.

"Miss White" Mr Parsons called from the doorway of his office juts behind me and to the left. I spun quickly to face him.

"Yes Sir?" I asked. I gestured for me to follow him inside.

"I just wanted to have a quick chat with you about your case" he said. I hurried to speak before he could continue.

"I can do this Sir," I affirmed, "I know I haven't been here long but I'm ready to do this. I going to meet the defendant right now!"

Parsons held up one hand to stop me.

"I wasn't going to say anything of the sort Samantha, I was merely going to say that I know there isn't much to go on yet but its early days. Cases like these can be the most difficult to tackle, but I do have every faith that you will do so with as much fire as you displayed in the meeting this morning" he said with a slight raise of the eyebrow.

"Took guts to take this one from under the nose of all those guys, we need a bit more of that enthusiasm from the rest of the team" he said gently.

"Thank you Sir" I blushed furiously.

"Go now, don't want to be late for your interview" he said and I nodded, thanking him once more before leaving the room, a bright smile pulling at the corner of my lips and a renewed sense of confidence bubbling in the pit of my stomach.

***

Daniella and Harry were the only two people sitting in the waiting area when I emerged from the lift, both of them sat in the far back corner, huddled together as he wrapped an arm around her shoulders and rubbed his hand up and down her arm. Even from my position across the room, I could see she was shaking as she pushed herself firmly against his side, her long, chestnut brown hair falling in a curtain around her face, shielding her from sight. Harry's head rested on top of her own and from what I could see, he was mumbling soft words into her hair.

I approached them both gently.

"Miss Styles, Mr Styles" I said softly as I reached them. Harry's head snapped towards the sound of my voice and Daniella lifted her gradually. "My name is Samantha White, Miss Styles, I've taken charge of your case". She sniffed quietly and brushed the palm of her hand across her cheek.