Chapter Eighteen

We walked out of the maze, and finally out into the cool climate outside. I had no idea where we were, but the numerous dried leaves that piled on the ground indicated that these trees were hibernating. They crunched beneath my shoes and I walked ahead of Chris, a bit nervous about tripping in front of him and making a fool of myself. Whatever he had in store for me, I didn't want to know.

He nudged me a bit harshly, directing my body to the left so that we'd walk towards the back of the house since we'd come out the front porch. Upon approach, I could have heard whimpering in the back, but it sounded like a woman. I knew I was only here with males, so who else did he have in his grasp? 

Soon, two chairs came into view, and my jaw unhinged as I painfully identified Darlene and Nina tied to them, sobbing. They were the only hope I had left, and now they were trapped here with me. I was speechless, basically, I just stood there gaping. I couldn't believe my eyes.

"Zoe," Darlene cried. "I had no idea!" They seemed surprised to see me as well. Then I realized someone was missing.

"Where's Emmett?" I asked. Darlene gave me a look, indicating that I shouldn't ask any more questions, at least not with Chris around. I didn't care what the hell his real name was but I was going to keep on calling him Chris.

"I'll give you guys some time to bond," he suddenly said, and walked around the house, leaving us there all alone. I glanced at Nina who looked like she was ready to give up on life itself.

"How did they get you?" I asked Darlene. Nina was clearly in no mood to speak. She seemed drained. Darlene nodded her toward the back of her body. Confused, I stumbled behind her and realized her phone was sticking out of her pocket. How could he have missed that?

"It only has ten per cent battery left, so don't fuck this up." I nodded and pulled the cell out her back pocket, peering around before dialling my mother. "Who are you calling?" she asked. 

"My mom."

"Call the police you idiot. What the hell is wrong with you!" I frowned at her sudden rage. 

"Wha-"

"She didn't listen to you back then, you think she'd listen to you now?" My eyes fell to the ground, knowing she was right. My silence said it all. "Exactly, so hang up and call the fucking police before my battery dies." I dialled the three numbers, 911, and was quickly placed on the line with an operator. I had no idea where we were, but I tried to make the best out of circumstances. Not many places in our small town had abandoned lands with squeaky houses on their foundation. They should have been able to figure where we were. I sighed in relief, still a bit on the edge, since the operator had instructed me to stay on the line. Chris could have walked in any minute. 

I sat on the ground next to them. The air quiet, none of us had anything to say. I think we both felt it; we'd be dead before they arrived. This was probably part of his plan. Chris was too smart to miss an object like that in Darlene's pocket. Darlene's red hair was matted to her face, as sweat poured down her cheek. We were all nervous. 

Soon we heard the crunching of leaves, and we all knew he was on his way back. I quickly shoved the phone into my pocket, making sure the call was still on. He smiled as he approached us, carrying a tray with three glasses of juice on it. A man followed close behind him, carrying a machine gun. 

"You girls must be thirsty," he said and stopped in front of us, motioning the tray towards us, but none of us made an advance to it. I wasn't hungry, nor thirsty; I guess Darlene and Nina were, but they were smart enough not to take anything he offered. He frowned, pouting with a wry edge to it. "Not a little bit?" I sighed and proceeded to stare into the forest behind us, not wanting to see his face any longer, until someone Darlene was doing caught my attention. She had the robes that were secured around her wrists, in her grasp. I slowly drew my eyes to hers, and I got the look, that she wanted to take advantage of this now. So I did my part, and not cause a distraction. They'd be expecting that. I picked up a medium sized smooth stone of the ground where I sat, and swiftly placed it in my jacket pocket, along with the phone and rose, calmly, to my feet.

"I think I'll have one of those," I said, drawing Chris' attention. He'd been staring at Nina's almost lifeless figure. He seemed content; that sick bastard. He smiled and took a few steps to me, the glass rattling on the metal tray. My hands trembled behind my back as he came closer.

"Take your pick," he replied, as he stood mere inches away from me. I leaned in on my tiptoes, peering into the glass, and without warning, I swung the hand that contained the stone, only to have it caught by his and the other hand balancing the tray. I gasped in surprise as he smirked in my direction. "I'm not stupid, Zoe." 

Suddenly, Darlene leapt from her chair and tackled the man with the gun, both their hands on the trigger, sending fire around aimlessly. Chris hadn't been expecting that though, his eyes wide, as he took cover on the ground. I took that opportunity to run to Nina, quickly untying her knots and getting both of us on the ground as more men from the front began to em-bray us. Darlene eventually got a hold of the gun, firing at Chris' men. Numerous of them fell, wounded or dead, and a few retreated behind a wall. I glanced at Chris, just in time to see him crawling towards Darlene, her back to him.

***

And thank you for reading! We're almost to the end. Comment and Vote! Also, check out the starting of my other Mystery books: The Secret of the Note in the Box, Fixing Emily Stone and The Murder of Carissa Farrell.

Taja D'amore.