Chapter 5

It's short. I'm sorry.

*

Louis was laying on his back, his head resting in the soft grass. Harry was on top of him, his arms leaned against Louis' chest. He was smiling bright, and for no reason other than Louis being with him.

"Can Zayn see your writing?" Louis asked. Harry quirked an eyebrow, curious. "I mean- the journal. You did write in the journal, yeah?"

"Oh, yeah." Harry said, as if he'd just remembered. Louis couldn't believe he'd forgotten. Then again, he wasn't real. "Yeah, that was me. I wrote in it."

"Can Zayn see it?" Louis asked. He kind of wondered why he was even asking, because he wasn't nearly convinced that Harry was real.

"No." Harry said. He ran his fingers over Louis' cheek. "He can't see it because he doesn't love me like you do. You wanted me to exist more than anyone else. That's why you see it."

Louis thought for a moment that Zayn didn't want Harry to come back, and then he almost slapped himself for being so stupid. Of course Zayn would want Harry back. All the boys want Harry back. They're all upset without him.

"You don't believe I'm real." Harry pointed out. It wasn't a question. Louis didn't want to disagree, so he just nodded.

They'd been over this before, so Harry didn't bother asking why. He just lay on Louis' chest, closing his eyes against Louis' heartbeat.

Louis didn't say anything for a while, either. He wrapped his arms around Harrg, holding him as close as he could before he woke up.

"I miss you when I'm awake." Louis said, because he couldn't think of anything else to say.

"I miss you when you're awake, too." Harry said, leaning up to kiss at Louis' jaw. He propped himself up on his elbows, pressing his lips to Louis'.

That's how they stayed for a while, lips moving in sync, pressing their bodies together, trying to be as close as they possibly could.

"I miss you, Lou." Harry whispered. He sounded a bit close to tears, but Louis felt like that too. "I love you, you know that, yeah?"

"Yeah." Louis said, nodding. He wanted to say I love you too, but the words wouldn't come out. "I know."

So they just lay there silently, kissing occasionally, and just trying to hold on to each other for as long as they could.

In some ways, it was depressing, but everything has been depressing lately. The two of them were used to it.