22. The price of bites

Little Sorin looked at Dacia expressionless. She looked at the little boy amused, it was the first time she had seen a vampire and a human interact in such manner. The boy's eyes were fixed on Dacia's and she was unable to avert her eyes from his.

-"Humans and vampires can coexist, just like werewolves can. I really wonder why we can't stop the stupid 'natural enemy' thing"- said Vlad while he caressed the boy's blonde hair."You're a weird specimen. For such reasons you should be able to understand that we should stop fighting each other"

Dacia blinks a couple of times trying to understand the situation.

-"You want me to make a peace treaty with you?"- she asked.

Vlad nods. He was quite different from the vampires she had met before. All she wanted to do was to avenge her family, but she knew better than anyone else that revenge was pointless.

-"My coven has nothing to do with the vampires you have met before hand. We are well aware that your clan is rather...beastly, so we don't think enraging a bunch of wild things will benefit us...and less would it benefit your kind"- added Vlad.

Dacia frowns, but she was well aware that Vlad's words were nothing but the truth. Hearing him speak made her realize that he had been around for a few decades or more through the area. Now that she was facing someone like him, she had to take the opportunity and ask him if he knew anything about her rare case of being bitten and about the vampire incidents against the Lupu clan during the past years. He was a well informed vampire, so why not ask him?

-"By any chance...Have you ever met with such a weird case, such as mine?"- asked Dacia while sitting down at the table again.

Vlad simply looks up at her expressionless. Dacia simply looks at him while patiently waiting for his answer. Vlad didn't say a word, but caress Sorin's head in a fatherly manner.

-"Sorin, why don't you go and check on your mommy?"- said Vlad while the boy simply nodded and ran off.

Vlad sighs and then rustles his hair. Standing up, he walks towards the table and opens a blood bottle and pour some into an empty glass. He drinks the blood in one go.

-"That boy's elder sister"- said Vlad while wiping his mouth with his sleeve. "He doesn't even know he has an elder sister, but she's a human version of your case."

Dacia's eyes widened.

-"What happened to her?"-asked Dacia while trying not to tremble.

Vlad looks up at the ceiling as if remembering everything. He simply sighs and then looks at her seriously.

-"Well, she's locked away. We can't have her close to us like Sorin"- said Vlad.

Dacia tried not to gasp. She had first dealt with the random deaths in her family, then the breeder issue, and now those who were bitten by vampires and didn't transform were also causing her problems, and she was included. Vlad slowly walks towards her and placed a hand under her chin and forced her to look straight at him.

-"Please keep it a secret from the little boy...he has always believed he's an only child. His sister simply cannot interact with us because of her scent"- said Vlad. "A scent so sweet that it makes us all tremble. By the other hand, your wolf stench mixed with that sweetened scent stops us from going crazy. You'd be unbearable if you were to wound, that's for sure. Don't ever let anyone cut you or wound you before us"

Dacia's eyes were wide and focused on Vlad's cold green eyes. He slowly moves his hand away from her chin and walks away. Dacia was certain that he wasn't feeling so well after talking about the locked away girl. Compared to the breeders, this was for the girl's own good, where no one would harm her and until someone could finally find a cure. That's when she realized why she had been taken to that place.