Locked Away

Locked Away

Prologue

The sun shone into the bedroom, bringing life, love and happiness with it.  She didn't feel any of those emotions as she sat steering into space.  She felt, how did she feel?  Life-less.  Her total existence didn't have any meaning anymore.  She could hear him whistling and singing in the bathroom.  What was there to be happy about?  A tear escaped, and then something made her move - her son saying goodbye - he was leaving for nursery.  She reached up and hugged him, feeling his love in return as she closed her eyes, holding in the down pour about to burst. 

Silence, it was too quiet.  Everyone had left to go to their destination.  He'd kissed her before leaving, as she felt the poison on her forehead.  The crooked smile showed its face, because she knew.  She knew the secret he thought he was keeping from her, but she saw the receipt for the hotel booked for next week in Paris, and she knew he wasn't taking her. 

CHAPTER 1   

          She'd finished work early, and was feeling quite joyful.  She'd remembered something funny her son told her that morning and smiled at the memory.  She picked up her handbag, and said goodbye to her colleagues.  Smiling she pressed the elevator button and waited.  The lift descended opening its doors to pile in more people than its weight agreement.  Stepping in, she smiled at the people standing there, waiting for the ground floor to show itself.  What am I going to cook today?  She thought as the lift stopped once again, but only one more person could squeeze in this time.  She thought about what was in the fridge and in her cupboards, as it was too late to take something out of the freezer now!

         Finally to everyone's joy, as they sighed with relief that another day was over, they all headed for the main exit as the lift exploded emptying the people that were inside.   They all charged towards the doors, which automatically opened as if relieved to throw away the contents of its day, heading either to the car park, bus stop or train station.

        Gloria got into her car, placed all her bags in the back seat, started up the engine, as she decided, she'd cook the rest of the chicken that was in the fridge with some vegetables and rice.

       Traffic was bad as usual, everyone was going home from their day at work.  It would take her about an hour now to get home.  She turned up the music that played on her CD player.  It was very relaxing as she listened to Luther Vandross her favourite artist.  She hummed away to the song, as she moved two inches at a time.  She could see ahead now, there was an accident.  "Oh no, I could forget the chicken and rice now, it would have to be something quick.  I could pop a pizza in the oven, with some vegetables instead."  She shook her head and smiled as she realised she was talking to herself again.